We're Not Normal | Steve Harrington

"You think he'll be okay?"

You follow Steve's worried gaze to see Dustin walk into the school's gymnasium to attend the Snowball Dance. Your lips twitch upwards a little. "He'll be okay." You turn to your left to meet Steve's eyes. "He has his friends. Nancy and Jonathan are there too."

Steve bobs his head before shifting the car into gear, moving the car into a slow crawl. "You wanna hang for awhile, or go home?"

You shouldn't spend anymore time with him, but your words say otherwise. "Hang awhile." Steve pulls the car out of the parking lot and onto the road. "Where are we going?"

His lips twitch, eyes not wavering from the road. "You'll see."

You roll your eyes with a small smile before peering out your window to look up into the night sky, finding it a little disappointing that there's not much stars that peek out from the dark abyss.

Steve ends up driving into the woods, and you make a comment saying, "If you attempt to kill or whatever, it won't end well for you."

He smirks. "Cause the big bad wolf would eat me alive?" Your heated glare burns hot on the side of his face, and he winces at not only your death glare, but at his poor choice of words. "Sorry."

As he parks the car, you exhale a huff as you step out. You smile a little when you walk ahead of the car, inhaling the fresh cold air as you overlook the town.

You cross your arms as you take in the town's hazy lights. Your shoes crunch the frozen leaves that lay among the dirt as you turn to see Steve exiting the car, leaving the driver's side open to release the soft notes of melodies to dance along the chilly breeze.

He steps beside you, looking at the town.

"Why'd you bring me here, Steve?" you ask, holding your arms tighter against yourself for protection; not so much from the chilly breeze, but from his words.

He scruffs his worn sneaker against the frosty dirt, merely shrugging a shoulder. "Thought you would appreciate the view."

You tilt your head a little at him. "Steve."

He inhales through his nose, seeming to gather courage as he says, "I like you a lot, you know." You swallow dryly as he confesses his feelings to the town. "And I know you like me too."

You exhale shakily at his words. Of course he knew, you both shared a few intimate moments in between all the chaos that was happening when battling the demodogs and trying to save not only Will, but yourselves as well. Even more so after the battle was won, almost even sharing a kiss in the Henderson's kitchen before Dustin unknowingly  interrupted.

You shake your head, whispering, "We can't."

Steve turns to you then. "Why not?"

Steve takes your warm hands into his cold ones. The contrast between both your temperatures sends delight tingles up your arms and into your heart. You take a breath and say, "Because I'm not normal."

Steve shakes his head. "None of us are normal, especially after what happened a few months back."

You shake your head, trying to pull away from his grasp. "You know what I mean." He holds on firmly, but you don't put much effort to pull away either. "I'm an experiment 'gone wrong'. A freak who will never-"

You can't finish because the lump in your throat rises, and your eyes burn against the tears. Steve becomes nothing more than a blurred vision, but he grips on tight, giving you a reassuring squeeze. He bounds you to the earth with his hold.

"It's okay," he says. "I know, but you can't let that overcome you. Sure you're not normal; a person who's able to shift into a real damn semi-not-really-werewolf is definitely not normal."

You squint your teary eyes into a glare, but he smiles. "We're not normal, and that's okay. Look at El or whatever her name is and Mike. She's not normal, but she was able to find someone who matched with her perfectly. Despite whatever is going on with her, she's still able to be happy. And I know I sound like a doofus-"

You laugh a little at that, and he smiles as he takes a step closer. He releases one of your hands to wipe away a stray tear. "It's okay."

It's okay, this is okay.

You tremble a little as you grasp his forearms, grounding yourself to the earth, and in this moment. A shy wobbly smile makes it's way up to your lips as you confess in a quiet murmur; "I have no idea what what I'm doing."

"That's okay." He smiles. "I'll be there every step of the way, if you'll let me."

Yes, you decide to yourself, as you lean into his chest. You both sway in your spot as the soft tunes from the car carry on into the night.

And underneath the moonlight and the barely twinkling stars, you ignite from the inside-out as you hesitantly (shyly) press your lips against Steve's.

You burn bright as he chuckles, but his assuring words sear themselves permanently into your mind, as well as into your heart.

We're not normal, but that's okay.