I Need You | Jim Hopper

April 25, 1958

Jim Hopper scans the dance floor, a lollipop stick poking between his lips to take place of a cigarette. The teacher eyes him warily, but when he pulls out the stick to indeed show her that it isn't a cigarette, she turns to survey the dance floor.

A couple of boys (who a more acquaintances than friends) try to discreetly pass their flask around, and when one of the boys tries to offer it to him, he shakes his head. He's more focused on trying to find someone, so he turns his eyes back to the dance floor. As the speakers crackle to play the next song, he heaves a sigh when the slow melody sways through the atmosphere.

All couples get together to sway to the music, and the singles leave either to sit at the tables or head to the refreshment table. Those who still want to dance stand aside but gently sway their bodies, talking to their friends or to perhaps wait for someone to sweep them to the floor to dance.

Loosening navy blue tie, he watches in mild interest when he sees a boy approach a girl swaying beside the floor with her two friends. He sees the girl get a little flustered, but together they head to the floor hand in hand.

The gymnasium door creaks open, and Jim looks just in time to see a sliver of blue that just manages to escape the closing doors. Some people look for a brief moment, but pay no interest as they continue on.

Jim - confused - looks back to the dance floor to see Charles dancing with a girl, who he quickly realizes isn't you.

Quickly putting the pieces together, he leaves his spot by the refreshment table and heads for the gymnasium doors, quietly escaping. He doesn't look far, because he sees you just a few feet away sitting on the steps, dress a little bunched and crinkled.

You over your shoulder before facing the parking lot, wiping your eyes quick. "Hey, Hopper."

His nose wrinkles in distaste. "My dad goes by Hopper. I feel old when I'm called that."

"Sorry, Hops."

He sits on the steps beside you, although leaving a gap of space between you.

"Shouldn't you be inside with your date?" You won't look at him as you wipe your eyes.

"Don't got a date." He reaches into his slacks, pulling out a small sliver can. Flicking it open, he pulls out a cigarette and holds it in offering.

Shaking your head, you silently decline.

He flicks the lollipop stick away, sticking the cigarette stick between his lips. "You okay?"

"Does it look like I'm okay?" Your tone is hard as stone, but your shoulders deflate a moment later with a sigh. "Sorry."

He shrugs, internally grumbling when he realizes that his lighter won't work. "It's alright."

It falls silent between the both of you. The only thing that fills it is the muffled music from inside the gymnasium.

With a shuddering breath, you fiddle with your dress. "Charles was dancing with another girl. He even kissed her."

He didn't see the kiss, just the dancing. It pisses him off. He wants to go inside and beat him to the pump. Jim says what's on his mind, calling Charles exactly what he is, which is related to human waste.

You snort. "No kidding." Exhaling a sigh, you say, "I didn't even want to go to this stupid dance, but my mom thought it would make feel better. She thought it would do me good, but it only made it worse. My friend just decided to stop being my friend, my brother just left for college, and my dog..." You place your face in your hands, body suddering.