No Need For Change | Adam Davenport

"Well, if it isn't my favorite nerd."

Chase rolls his eyes as he steps aside to let you in through the front door. "Ha ha ha."

You send a flirty grin his way. "What? You're my favorite Davenport."

He scoffs as he shuts the door behind you. "Yeah, right. We all know your favorite Davenport is Adam."

A more soft smile appears on your lips. "Yeah, he is." But your smile drops, transitioning into a threatening glare. "But if you ever tell him, I swear-"

"You'll kill me, I know." He waves you off. "Bree's up stairs, by the way."

You pat his shoulder before heading for the staries. "Thank you!"

~~~~~

"Come on, it'll be fun!"

"Bree, I'm not some barbie doll." You roll your eyes at your best friend.

"Yes, I know."

You shoot her a little glare. You know that she's planning something, but you're not exactly sure what, judging by the mischief gleaming in her eyes.

She wants you to enter her capsule, but you can only imagine why she would want that. You don't trust her at the moment; your eyes narrow suspiciously as she bounces lightly on her sock-covered toes.

She claps her hands together once. "Mr. Davenport upgraded the capsule so that we would be able to get ready faster. You know, for school or whatnot."

Your eyes are narrow slits at this point. "Why would you want me to get ready? What's so wrong with my clothes?" You look down at your graphic tee and dark washed jeans, and your worn sneakers.

Everything is wrong, her facial expression screams as her left eye twiches, a forced strained smile plastered on her face. Noticing that you won't budge, her smile falls as she exhales a soft sigh, her body deflating like a balloon. "Okay, you win. You don't have to go in there."

You smile, about to thank her but before you can utter a sound, you're suddenly locked in the capsule.

Bree is laughing as she swipes her tablet from the bed. You bang your fists on the capsule, screaming at her to let you go, but she's not listening.

The capsule lights up and scans you, making you back-up a step. Suddenly it feels like you're stuck in a tornado of blasting wind and you get thrown around for several seconds until everything stops completely.

You stumble out of the capsule, ankle almost rolling because what kind of shoes are those?

Heels.

Your heart leaps to your throat, and you move to lurch open Bree's closet door. You almost scream when you see yourself wearing a sunny yellow dress, make-up done on point, and hair done in perfect hairstyle that holds a small yellow sunflower. Even your earrings are miniature sunflowers.

The brothers in the living jump simultaneously when you come marching down the stairs livid. If you were a cartoon character, there would no doubt be steam coming out of your ears.

Leo is about to ask what's wrong, but once glance at your appearance says it all.

"[Name], it's not that bad." Bree follows you down to the main floor. "You look-"

You're about to rip her a new one, but Chase takes action quickly and steps between the two of you. "Okay! Okay, what is going on? You two hardly ever fight."

You gesture to the clothes that you're wearing. "She did this to me! Without my consent!"

Adam comes to step beside you, turning his attention to his sister. "Bree, why would you change her?"

"Because I wanted to test out the capsule, and I also wanted to play a prank, okay?" She looks at her brothers and then you. "I'm sorry-"

You shake your head at her. "I said no, I didn't want to go in but you forced me in anyway."

You weren't really mad at the fact that Bree dolled you up (perhaps maybe a smudge, if you were to admit). The main reason why you were mad at her was because she forced you into doing something that you didn't want to do.

Adam shakes his head at Bree. "You had no right, Bree. She's perfect the way she is. You shouldn't have-"

You place your hand on his bicep. "Adam, it's okay."

Conversation decidedly over, Chase leads Bree away down the hall because she too was upset about what she's done. Chase was not only gonna comfort her, but hopefully talk some sense into Bree about her impulsive actions, because once Bree's mind was set on something, there was no going back. And she had a record of bad choices that were made in the past.

Adam - with gentleness - leads you out the front door to talk to you privately without the others eavesdropping on your conversation.

Leo, who was left alone in the living room, plops down on the couch with a huff. "Guess I'll watch Tv then."

Outside, you turn to face Adam with a gentle smile. "Thank you, Adam. You didn't have to say that."

"Of course I had to! She didn't have the right to do that, you're perfect the way you are. Whether you want to wear a dress or a t-shirt."

Your face heats up, and you look toward the empty driveway. "Thank you."

"I was wondering..." You turn to look at Adam, who supports a charming smile. "If you wanted to go lazer tagging this Friday? And afterwards prank Chase and cover him in shaving cream and shreded cheese?"

You laugh, nodding. "That sounds great."

Adam smile turns goofy. "Awesome."