Lighthouse | Chase Davenport

The double doors groan with each push and pull, propelling the wind to weave damp leaves between sneakers that squeak against the vinyl navy floor, smudging murky footprints in a layer of mushy sludge.

The crisp papers crinkle underneath your fingers, the layout of the school grounds resembling nothing more than an intricate puzzle that cannot be solved within your mind's eye. 

The wind tumbles, rolling up your back and down to your clutching hands, raising goosebumps along the skin. Shivers run down your spine, an exhale trembling from your lips. 

Students pass like sailing ships in the night, seeking the light that will bring them warmth and comfort. Murmurs are whispered, carried along the halls and the squeaking of footsteps gets louder, and louder; closer, and closer - and with a breath

"Hi."

The scent of dampened earth and a whiff of fruity perfume gets lodged into your lungs from a passing student. Eyes flitting upwards, they're met with a soft honey amber. "Hello."

Much like bees, the three behind the boy that greets you send a warm smile in greeting. The girl behind him knocks Amber Eyes forward, causing the boy that greeted you, stumbling a foot forward. "Hi, I'm, uh - Chase Davenport." He turns briefly to introduce his siblings, and you find yourself smiling at them. 

It isn't until a moment afterwards that the neurons in your brain begin to fire as their last names click into place. "Wait as in the children of Mr. Davenport?" After they nod, your heart jumps in excitement. "Wow, I, uh - that's awesome."

"You're new here, right?" Bree asks, shuffling her purple binder into the bend of her arm.

"Oh, yes." Heart hammering and breath rattling, you thumb the paper within your fingers to smooth out the wrinkles. "I'm, uh, a little lost." A trembling chuckle, and then: "I have no idea where my classes are."

"I can help you." Chase takes an eager step forward. The scent of peppermint fills your lungs as he steps into your bubble. He smiles apologically as he shifts to look at the layout of the school grounds. "Do you have your schedule?" You shift your schedule on top of the school's layout. Eyes scanning, he smiles. "We take A.P Chemistry together, as well as a few other classes."

"Oh." Eyes catching for a moment, you look down at your schedule with a smile. "That's great, I thought I would've been totally lost."

"Not with me." He meets your gaze warmly. "I can be your tour guide, show you around."

"This school is not much," Bree says. "Once you get used to it, it's not so intimating."

Adam gleams underneath the fluorescent lights. "It'll be a playground afterwards."

"If you can't find Chase, we're here to help," Leo says, shrugging the straps of his backpack higher. "You're going to do great!"

The bell mounted in the hallway proclaims its ring, signifying the warning just before first period. 

The students scatter like rolling marbles, pushing and some knocking into one another to get to their destinations. Chase leads you to chemistry, showing the way and pointing down other halls to get to your other classes. 

Once at the door, students shuffle inside to sit at their seats. Palms getting clammy, you discreetly wipe them on your jeans. 

"Hey." Chase gently grazes your elbow, his smile reassuring. "Everything is going to be fine."

You smile, and walking inside he leads you to the empty seat beside his. Sitting in your seat, the tension in your fingers release the papers from your grasp. You were going to be fine with Chase Davenport by your side. Glancing at him for a moment, your eyes trail over his appearance; once, twice-