#37 Akito

"And then she called Irina's parents herself to tell them the news," Rubi exclaims, exasperated

"And then she called Irina's parents herself to tell them the news," Rubi exclaims, exasperated. "With the way Mom's been acting, you'd think we just told her that we're going to get married."

I laugh, the sound beginning as a soft squeeze in my stomach before it floats out of my throat. It's times like these that the curt voice in my head usually begins it's chiding — is this the time to be laughing? — and then my lungs tighten, my smile begins to tremble, my cheeks start to hurt, but I can't remember to be afraid of any of that right now. Heart growing to fill out my chest, I look out at the daily scene of students strolling into our school gates, the pleasant thrum of faraway voices in my ear, and wow, it's so easy now. Everything is so easy now.

Rubi smiles up at me, her cheeks flushed pink from the cold. "She's very excited to meet you, by the way. You have been warned."

I shake my head, still laughing. "I'm looking forward to it, she seems delightful," I say honestly.

"Delightful is one way to put it." A cool breeze ruffles our hair as we walk, and Rubi's eyes return to the school building before us, voice fading to a whisper. "I just...I can't believe it all worked out okay. In the end. I'm so...so grateful."

"Yeah," I say, my smile tightening across the lump in my throat. I know that I should have been there for her, when things got hard. To hold her hand through it all, instead of shutting myself inside walls of empty ambition. I've been selfish, and I see that now. I've hurt her, and I've hurt Ren, and no, nothing could be worth that, but all Rubi seems to care about is that I'm here with her now, so I'm going to try to focus on that. I have to be a good friend to her. "Me too."

"Let's get through these exams together, yeah?" she says as we step into the building, side by side.

I let out a soft breath, and nod. "And we can do something fun afterwards."

She quickly brightens. "Yes! Let's go get some ice cream again! If Ren and Irina are okay with that."

"Ice cream sounds great," I agree, smiling. "There's this place I walk by every week on the way to the grocery store that I've been wanting to visit. It seems like..." I trail off, abruptly going still, and Rubi tilts her head at me, confused, before she spins around to see what I'm looking at. "Ah," she sings, patting me on the arm once, before stepping away. "I'm going to go look for Irina now," she says when I turn towards her again, attempting to get my breathing to resume. "Good luck." She winks, turning her back on me.

I briefly smile to myself before letting my gaze wander back towards the shoe lockers.

Ren.

I close my eyes against the cramp in my heart, and when I open them again, he's still there, crouching on the floor to reach the lower level of the lockers, clumsily attempting to stuff his shoes into the space, and the familiar sight of his back makes me feel all sorts of unimaginable things.