#15 Rubi

"You look awfully happy today," I observe, noting the faint smile on Kurumi-senpai's lips as she gazes dreamily out the massive window before us, at the scenery of colourful houses that we leave behind one after the other

observe, noting the faint smile on Kurumi-senpai's lips as she gazes dreamily out the massive window before us, at the scenery of colourful houses that we leave behind one after the other. The sky is thick with clouds, but the weather is just the right amount of chilly, and for the first time in a while, we managed to snag some seats on the morning train to school.

It doesn't matter that the sun is hiding. All I need to brighten my day is right here, by my side.

The ghost of a smile on her face comes alive. "Akito asked me to come pick him up from school today," she says softly. "That's...a good sign, right? I was worried he might have been annoyed that I just showed up at school the other day without saying anything, but now I'm glad I did." She looks at me, her face radiant with hope.

I instinctively reach for her hand and grip it. I know that there's no red string glowing between us, connecting us, or helping us understand each other. But maybe I'm hoping that if I close the gap between us directly and hold on to her tightly enough, I'll somehow be able to get my feelings across. I'm happy for you.

"Senpai, that's so great! Akito is a tough nut to crack, and most times it's impossible to tell what he's thinking, but we just have to keep shooting our shots and hope they don't miss." I place my hand over my heart. "Someday, they're gonna hit him right over here, and he'll never be the same again."

Senpai laughs, automatically drawing a smile from me. "Yeah, let's do that." Then she straightens, turning serious. "I've been meaning to ask, how are things between him and Ren? Every time I try to ask him about it, he brushes me off." She pauses for a beat, then starts again before I can answer. "Oh. He was making an extra lunch portion today but wouldn't tell me who it was for. Could it be...?"

I nod excitedly. "I think things are good. I'm hopeful. They've been spending a lot of time together, and I think they've really started to warm up to each other." Senpai sighs happily. "And yeah, the extra portion was for Ren. He's going to help Akito study in exchange for the lunch box," I explain, pleased.

The train jerks to a stop, and a businessman standing nearby almost falls on top of me, but I can't bring myself to be annoyed about it. Senpai raises our linked hands into the air and cheers under her breath, delighted. Amidst our little celebration, I forget that we're at Irina's stop.

"Good morning!" Kurumi-senpai greets cheerfully when we see her get on.

"Good morning," she says, and with a straight face, she proceeds to sit right between the two of us, breaking our hands apart. If I hadn't moved out of the way at the last second, she would have ended up on my lap. I hide a smile. She's so childish sometimes.

She turns to face me. "Can I hug you?"

The question comes so out of nowhere that it throws me off. "S-Sure," I stutter, because I don't see a reason to say no. Are we close enough to hug each other good morning? I guess we are.