Chapter 6

The wait in line at check-in was the ultimate test of patience. There seemed to be a million people ahead of us, none of whom knew how to use the automated kiosks.

But, when our turn finally arrived, a surprise was waiting for me.

"What the hell does 'SBY' mean?"

My companion glanced over as I stared at my freshly printed boarding pass. "'Standby'." He sighed, "They probably overbooked the plane, and you'll have to wait to see if a seat opens up."

I scoffed, looking up at him. "Are you fucking kidding me?"

"Don't worry about it – most flights have at least a few no-show passengers," his hand came up to squeeze my shoulder, "You'll get a seat."

"Did they put you on standby?"

He shook his head, "One of the perks of being a Premier member – I'm top of the priority list."

"Figures," I muttered as he stroked my arm.

The warmth of his touch softened my annoyance, and I felt a sharp ache in my chest, knowing how close I was to losing him.

Closing my eyes, I breathed in his deliciously masculine scent.

"You okay?"

I nodded, leaning against him, trying to swallow my anxiety and savor the time we had left.

"So," he asked, not looking up from his phone, "how long are you going to be in town?"

We were seated at the gate, him reading while I tried to not obsessively stare at the standby list.

Specifically, my place on the standby list...

"Well, it's supposed to be a week, but I'll probably be guilt-tripped and sweet-talked into staying longer." Glancing over, I asked, "Why?"

He quirked an eyebrow behind a pair of reading glasses that had no right to look so good on him.

His leaned closer, his voice lowering to a soft, seductive whisper, "Last night was fun – if we're going to be in the same city for a while, I'd love to meet up – maybe continue where we left off?"

My face burned as I remembered where we'd 'left off' – me clinging to him as he fucked me up against the shower wall...

Licking my lips, I shrugged, "Maybe."

A dangerous glint appeared in his eyes. "'Maybe'?"

Smirking, coy, I reached out. "Give me your phone."

It was still warm from his hand when I took it, typing in my contact information.

Well, some of it...

As I handed it back, he scanned over the screen, pausing as he read:

"'Gin and Tonic'?"

My lips curved in a mischievous grin. "You have to earn my name."

His eyes darkened, and I felt my pussy quiver with anticipation. "Give me your damn phone."

Obedient to his demand, I fished it out of my purse, unlocking it and laying it in his palm.

Glancing over his shoulder, I read as he typed.

"'Whiskey Neat'?" I rolled my eyes, "Really?"

Passing my phone back, he smirked, "Two can play this game."

I shook my head, playing annoyed to hide my girlish giddiness...

I'm going to see him again!

But, as the time for departure neared, my giddiness was replaced by cold, heavy dread.

When the last passenger boarded, I heaved a bone-deep sigh, burying my face in my hands.

Well, second-to-last passenger.

Turning to the man beside me, I muttered, "Guess I'm out of luck." The prospect of waiting another several hours in airline limbo had me dying inside.

Numbly, I tried to put on a wry smile. "You should go." I nodded toward the open gate, where his first-class seat would be waiting for him.

His hand came down to rub along my back. After a moment, he spoke.

"'Family stuff'?"

Confused, I watched as he stood, walking to the counter.

The gate attendant smiled brightly, "Ready to board?"

"No." He glanced at me, "I want to give her my seat."

"Wh-" I sat up, ready to argue.

He silenced me with a wave, "Family trumps business."

The slow realization that he was saving me from purgatory washed over me.

This man...

Rising, I didn't care that a dozen bystanders were watching – I walked into his arms, nestling my face against his neck as I whispered, "Thank you."

He hugged me back, pressing his nose against my hair. "Anytime."

If the gate attendant had any opinions about our embrace, she kept them to herself.

After a long moment, I released him.

"Let me know when you land?" I grabbed my carry-on and purse, slinging the strap over my shoulder. "I definitely owe you a drink after this."

He smirked, both of us knowing I'd be giving him a hell of a lot more than a drink when we met again.