Chapter 19

"...I was wondering if you four would want to join me?"

"Uh, I'm not-" as I said the words I felt a fiery heat on both sides of me as both Dad and Adam waited for my response.

Oh, god.

Clearing my throat, I continued, "I'm not sure. I've got some commitments back in Seattle that I'm not sure I can get out of."

Bruce smiled jovially, "Oh, well, I'd love to have you along. I think you'd really enjoy it - there's fishing, kayaking, bonfires by the beach..."

"Sounds fun," I offered.

"It really is - it's great if you want some solitude, but it's always a blast with a group.

Tucking some hair behind my ear, I asked, "Well, I'll see what I can do. When would you need to know by?"

"Tonight," he answered, "I've chartered a jet - takeoff's scheduled at eight."

Tonight?

My panic must have shown in my eyes, because Bruce laughed, "I'll admit - it's short notice. I'd originally planned on taking that week to mull over some things-"

The deal, I thought.

"-but I've really enjoyed getting to know you all for the past few days, and I just thought, 'Why not keep this going'?"

"Well, that- that's very kind of you," I sputtered.

"It's nothing, really," he insisted, "I just thought it would be nice to have the whole family along."

Family.

The word sat sour on my tongue.

"Um," I licked my lips, "when did you say you were leaving?"

"Eight o'clock tonight."

Trying to look casual, I said, "I guess I'll let you know by then?"

All the way back to the house, Dad was alternately berating and pleading with me, trying to convince me to come with them.

"You don't need me there." I rolled my eyes as Jessica sat next to me in the backseat, strangely quiet.

"What's he going to think when you won't even spend a full week with your father?"

I shrugged, "That I have a life?"

"Nora-"

"He's not going to care-"

"Please-"

"-besides, I told you that if you want me to stick around any longer, it would cost you. In fact, flying out to- where was it?"

"Lake Tahoe," Jessica muttered.

"Thank you - flying out to Lake Tahoe and staying in close quarters with you for a whole week would rack up some serious surcharges."

"You can't be serious-"

"I'm absolutely serious, which is why you should make up some excuse for me and let me go home."

The argument continued until we reached the house, when I cut off my father's pleas by announcing that I was going to take a nap and shutting my bedroom door behind me.

Inside, I slumped down on the bed, feeling my pulse pounding in my veins.

A week with Adam?

My skin flushed as I imagined the possibilities...