Chapter 13

"Nora?"

The sound of my name snapped me out of the past and back to the present.

Looking up, I saw Jessica watching me.

And Adam.

"Sorry."

I glanced over at Dad, chattering with Bruce, oblivious.

"Hey, I think I want to go check out that three-legged race - want to come?"

I gave her a nod and waited as she said goodbye to my father. When she leaned in to kiss him, I looked away, inadvertently making eye contact with Adam.

In an instant, his dark eyes kindled, and memories flooded in-

Jerking my gaze away, I grit my teeth, hating the way my nipples tightened against my bra, aching for his touch.

When Jessica returned, I don't think I'd ever been as glad to see her in my life.

Together, we stepped out into the blazing sun, headed for the race.

I'll get through this for Dad.

The three-legged race turned into a scavenger hunt turned into a cornhole tournament.

By the time the pogo troupe was setting up, I'd retreated back to the pavilion to reapply sunscreen and chug an icy bottle of water.

I'll get through this for Dad.

Tossing the empty bottle into the recycling bin, I grabbed another, heading back out.

When I reached the growing crowd, I noticed Dad, Bruce and Adam in the thick of it, Adam's smile bright enough to rival the sun.

As though he could feel me watching him, he turned his head, searching.

I averted my eyes, making a beeline back toward Jessica.

All throughout the show, I kept sneaking glances his way. Try as I might, there was no stopping the way my eyes seemed drawn to him, the way I could pick his laugh out of a crowd.

By the time the food trucks arrived, my self-control was hanging by a thread.

Grabbing a plate of street tacos, I headed for the shade of the VIP pavilion, watching as the band on the stage launched into a cover of a pop song from three decades ago.

I'll get through this. For Dad...

Around me, the others slowly returned with their selections from the various trucks.

Taking a sip of water, I smiled as I realized-

-I'm actually having a good time.

I hadn't expected that. When Dad invited me out for the anniversary celebration, I'd expected it to be nonstop boredom.

It certainly hadn't been boring...

Still, as he joked with Bruce and Adam, I smiled.

It's nice to see him trying.

In the aftermath of the divorce, hell, even before it, Dad wasn't what you would call an attentive parent.

But when he clapped me on the shoulder and called me, "Kiddo", I could almost believe that he might have changed.

Except part of me was waiting.

Waiting for the mask to fall.

As the band finished up their set, the conversation turned to business, a sure signal that it was time for me to tune out. Idly watching the show, I wasn't paying attention until Bruce said, "-I mean, that's just sort of been my personal philosophy - there are thousands of soulless companies run by people who only live for money. If I'm going to invest, then I want my money going to real people, people with lives, families, and passions that go beyond their bank accounts."

And a horrible certainty began to form in my mind.

No...

Glancing over, I eyed my father suspiciously. He smiled, agreeing with Bruce before subtly shifting the conversation.

As I looked down, I saw his hand clenched into a fist against his thigh.

No.

A sickly buzzing slowly overtook my thoughts.

...he's acting.

The show ended, applause filling the park as staffers began setting up for the tug-of-war.

Around the table, Adam, Bruce and Jessica stood, but before Dad could move, I placed a hand on his arm, "Hey, can I talk to you for a minute?"

He smiled, "Well, can it wait? These two don't stand a chance of winning without me-"

"It can't."

His amusement dimmed as I stood, walking away from the crowd where we might have some privacy.

I watched as he spoke with his companions, smile firmly reattached before coming out to me.

"Okay, what is it?"

Taking a breath, I asked, "Why did you invite me out here?"

He shook his head, grinning, "Because I wanted to see you-"

"So, you didn't want a prop? Hmm? Something to help you sell the 'family man' image to Mr. Moneybags in there?" I pointed toward Bruce, letting my anger show on my face.

"What?"

Stepping closer, I stared up at him, "Look me in the eye and swear that I'm not here to help you charm Bruce."

The warmth left his eyes. "What do you want me to say, Nora?"

Disgust and disappointment flooded through me.

...he was fucking acting.

"I want you to say that you-"

Leaning in, he hissed, "We need his money!"

"Yeah? And I need a father who actually gives a shit about me!"

"Oh, come on! Is it too much to ask-"

I cut him off, "For you to want to spend time with me? To not have ulterior motives? I don't know - is it?"

"Nora, I have paid for your tuition, I have provided you with a very comfortable lifestyle, and I have made sure that you never wanted for anything - I'm just asking you to help me out here."

"Then maybe ask for that instead of lying to me!"

"Would you have come out if I'd been honest?"

No.

When I didn't answer him, he sneered, "Exactly." Glaring, he spat, "Look, this is important to me. You're not even going to give me grandchildren, Nora, so the least you can give me is this."

My vision flashed red as I froze, limbs paralyzed in a rictus of absolute, overwhelming rage.

Scorching tears filled my eyes, burning trails down my cheeks. Swallowing hard, I grit out a strangled, "Fuck you," before turning on my heel and storming away.