Chapter 24

The rest of breakfast passed in a blur as I sat there like a malfunctioning automaton. Bruce offered to take us on a lake tour aboard his boat, so I walked down the dock and climbed on with the rest. Gorgeous vistas passed as we cruised serenely past the shore.

I, however, saw none of it, my mind busy replaying the moment when Dad dropped the bomb.

"Jess and I are trying for a baby."

The words echoed in between my ears, drowning out conversation and conscious thought. If I was spoken to, I responded, but only in monosyllables and with a minimum of enthusiasm.

A baby.

Jessica hadn't mentioned anything.

Jessica also hadn't exactly seemed thrilled...

Glancing over the side, I watched how the glassy, blue waters of the lake rippled with our passing.

If I swam back, I could grab my stuff, head for the airport, and be back home-

My thoughts cut off as I remembered the new balance in my bank account.

I can't go home - I have a job to do.

Shit.

Turning my attention back to my company, I settled my gaze on my father.

The hell does he want another child for?

My childhood flashed before my eyes, a thousand scenes of me - mostly alone, sometimes with Mom, rarely with Dad.

One in particular stuck with me.

In the aftermath of the affair going public, it had been decided that I would miss the rest of the school year and spend the summer with my maternal grandparents. With photos of Dad and Jessica being splashed all over the news, I wasn't going to be getting much learning done anyway.

On the morning of my departure, Mom was driving me to the airport where she'd accompany me to the gate while Grandma and Grandpa would meet me on the other end.

As she loaded my bags in the trunk, a familiar black SUV pulled up the gated driveway.

Mom stood up straight, grimacing. "I'm going to go double check that we packed everything - say goodbye to your father."

She disappeared into the house as the SUV parked, and the bastard himself stepped out.

"Hey, Baby!"

My words felt flat in my mouth, "Don't call me that."

"What? Don't you have a hug for your Daddy?"

Silent, I stared at him, seeing him, the real him, for perhaps the first time.

"Why did you do it?"

"What?"

Anger spiking, I repeated myself, "Why did you do it? Why did you cheat on Mom?"

"Well," he swallowed, looking uncomfortable, "Sometimes people fall out of love."

"Okay? So why did you cheat? You could have been honest and just broken up!"

"Baby, it's complicated-"

"I told you not to call me that," I snarled, "I'm not your baby - not after this. Also, it's not complicated. It's super not complicated."

"Bab-"

"DON'T CALL ME THAT!" The scream echoed through the trees, and I felt the tears I'd held at bay break free, "You ruined my family! You threw it away on some cheap whore!"