Ch.5: Backstory

While Sonic Team thought of going to Acorn Island on a normal ship, Princess Sally was generous enough to send a cruise ship to pick them up on Ancient Island.

It should be a quick three-day journey to Acorn Island, a mini vacation until they get there. Princess Sally had offered her personal airplane as well but due to that their island being too small to have an airport, Sally just opted for the second-best option.

Oh yes, Ancient Island was only known for its mystery ruins and strange ecosystem only found there. To stay as eco-friendly to the environment, the leader of Ancient Island decided to use as few resources as possible. Of course, they had TV, internet, and other 'fancy' things. But they were behind compared to other Islands. Still, it was a popular place for tourists to visit the Ancient ruins and of course, it's the home of the five renowned heroes.

More spotlight has come towards the Island ever since Sonic Boom started airing on TV and because famous actor Shadow the Hedgehog is currently residing there as well.

"You know, I am surprised you are keeping your cool Sonic," Tails is relaxing. Sunbathing with a light reflector and shades. "You hate water."

"Yes, but staying in my room and dying of boredom without doing anything was not an option," Sonic keeps his eyes closed only to hear the waves crash against the cruise. This only amplifies his fear. "I don't know how Shadow does it. It's been the second day and he is still locked up in his room."

"He seems to be a guy that likes to keep to himself."

"I am honestly surprised he came at all ... like without a proper invitation."

For some reason, Tails just wants to come up with an excuse to defend Shadow. Although Sonic has very good reasons to feel strange regarding Shadow's sudden choice to come with them even when Princess Sally had not requested him to come.

"He is probably just bored," Tails says. "Or probably misses the city."

Sonic did not care to ask further. After all, as long as Shadow is not bothering him, he is ok with it.

Sonic Team is doing different things on the cruise. Knuckles is training rock claiming at the private gym. Sticks is in the pool with Amy. 

There is only one day left before they reach Acorn Island.

And Sonic only hopes the days get better.

.

.

.

The night is extremely cold and Amy feels certain fear as she looks around the cruise surrounded by the complete darkness of the ocean. Nonetheless, the stars and moon reflecting on the water make it seem as if they were flying through space.

She kinda wishes Sonic was here with her. Maybe a romantic moment could happen. But now, anything happening between the two is almost impossible.

"Just when I thought you couldn't get uglier, you come up with that sad face of yours."

She immediately recognizes that voice and rolls her eyes at his presence.

"You know, I am starting to see why you are so popular with the ladies."

In reality, Amy wants to say something like "you are hella ugly too" but she could not say that when Shadow's bright vermillion eyes could outshine any star in the dark sky.

Shadow doesn't say anything. Instead, he joins her and looks at the dark ocean in front of him. For the first time, Amy is sure that Shadow is feeling some type of way. Usually, she couldn't tell what he is feeling but right now she is certain.