Blind Bandit pt. 2

Toph was having a bad day. 

Her parents had put her through another day of stupid etiquette lessons and even stupider-bending lessons. She could have done 'Master' Yu's bending exercises in her sleep. The only good part of her day was that Xin Fu told her she would be fighting Boulder again since her last win was 'controversial'. 

Controversial my butt, they just don't like the fact that their big bad Earthbender got beat up by a little girl. Whatever, beating him up again will be a good way to de-stress.

She snuck out of the residence after her parents had forgotten about her for the night, and made her way to Earth Rumble, ready to kick Boulder's butt again.

I can't wait to let loose. All those bending exercises made me want to bury that old man. The fact that Yu calls himself an Earthbending instructor is an insult. I could teach better than that and I can't even read. 

Toph smiled wickedly to herself as she entered the arena, wondering if Boulder realized he was going to be her punching bag. As she was called up to the stage, she was brimming with excitement, ready to bend freely after a full day of holding back. 

Walking to the stage she was greeted by the usual audience, a few Earthbenders in the front, and the rest of the crowd in the back. Everything was normal until about halfway up the stairs, when she felt someone in the audience's heartbeat spike. She stopped and searched for the culprit, trying to piece together why she didn't notice them and why their heartbeat was climbing.

She felt him in the very front row, which explained why she didn't notice him. No one sit's in the front row at Earth Rumble, even Earthbenders think it's too dangerous.

What was more intriguing was the fact that he was grabbing something on his back, probably a sword if she had to guess, and looking at her like she was about to attack him.

Did his heartbeat spike when he saw me? I haven't felt his heartbeat before so I know we've never met. Does he know who I am? No that can't be, only the servants, guards, and Xin Fu know what I look like and I've memorized their heartbeats. That means he saw me for the first time and prepared to defend himself. But that would only make sense if he was scared of me or if he...

She smiled as the stranger continued to stare at her, ready for any attack she might send his way.

He thinks I'm strong. He might even think I'm dangerous. This is the first time he's seen me and he doesn't think I'm weak. He didn't even relax when he saw that I was blind.

She turned and continued to walk up the stairs, abandoning all focus on the fight in favor of trying to figure out who this mysterious stranger was.

Even my parents think I'm helpless. Everyone I've ever met believed that I was a helpless little girl that could never defend herself. How did he figure out the truth so quickly? I don't even think he's an Earthbender, his feet are planted too lightly on the ground. Does he bend something else? Probably not, he wouldn't carry a sword with him if he did. That or he's trying to hide his bending. Is he a Firebender? Might even be an Airbender with how light he stands. Either way, he shouldn't be able to tell how strong I am just by looking at me. Does he just have really good intuition?  He's probably strong if that's the case.

She took her place across from Boulder and suddenly wasn't looking forward to defending her title. The idea of trapping the stranger in a rock prison and asking who he was sounded much more appealing.

This sucks. The most interesting person I've met in my entire life and I can't even fight him. Bet he'd be a better opponent than Boulder. Especially if I can get him to bend, supposing he actually can do that. How can I get him to fight though, it's not like he can fight me here, as far as I'm concerned this match is just for show. For show...

Toph smiled wickedly as she realized how to get him to fight her. She'd have to pull some strings with Xin Fu but that wouldn't be too hard. All she had to do now was crush Boulder over there into pebbles and move on to the real fight.

Hah. Pebble, That's way more accurate than Boulder. Imma use that while I'm riling him up.

Toph suddenly felt like today was going to be a very good day.