Leaving Gaoling pt. 1

Zuko's original plan changed after his conversation with Toph.

He was still going to rob Beifong's estate, after all, having extra cash couldn't hurt. But now he didn't need to search the estate for food. He decided to use his silver from the Earth Rumble to buy food, instead of saving it like he was originally going to do. He figured Uncle would have some food when he found him. Besides, he didn't feel like stealing more than he needed after learning that Toph was from a wealthy family.

He had already checked around to make sure the Beifong family didn't have a blind daughter. He would never forgive himself if he robbed Toph's house by accident.

Besides, she would catch me if I tried so better avoid that scenario.

Luckily, everyone he talked to said that the Beifongs didn't have a daughter, so he was safe on that end.

A few hours past midnight, after checking out of the inn he was staying at, he started to make his way toward the Beifong estate. He had left his ostrich horse at the edge of town, already packed with food and supplies.

He wasn't expecting to get caught, but just in case he did, he wanted to be able to make a quick getaway. He only took his swords, mask, and a bag as he headed toward the estate.

He jumped from rooftop to rooftop as he closed in on the estate. He used the trip to try and sort out everything that had happened during the day, and how he would move forward.

I met a blind earthbending master that learned from badger moles. She proved that I didn't need to follow Sozin's style to become a master Firebender. She also proved that Father could be wrong about things. Now, I need to find Uncle and figure out what else Father's been wrong about. I'll have to tell him about what happened though, he'll want to know why I started to doubt Father. Maybe I can convince him to stop in Gaoling so I can talk to Toph, I'm sure they'd get along. Wonder what nickname she would give him.

He chuckled at the thought of Toph and Uncle meeting each other. He could already see Uncle doing everything in his power to try and get Toph to just call him Uncle Iroh, instead of whatever nickname she would cook up.

He stopped on one of the roofs he was passing as he realized he was going to miss Toph.

He usually didn't like kids, all of the ones he had met were either scared of him or hated him. Excluding the avatar, Toph was the first kid that didn't treat him that way. She talked to him like he was a person, not a banished prince that was either too scary or too angry to like.

He wondered if they were considered friends. They were supposed to be enemies, but she didn't seem to care he was Fire Nation at all.

She said that punching people was how she showed affection. Does that mean we're friends since she punched me? I don't think she would have cried in front of me either unless she trusted me. I know I wouldn't cry in front of someone I didn't trust, the last time I cried in front of Azula she set me on fire. Do I trust her enough to cry in front of her? I did tell her my name, and considering I'm wanted in two nations I think that means I trust her. At least a little bit. Are we friends now since we trust each other? I've never had a friend before, only Azula was allowed to have them, so I don't know.

He cursed at his inability to have friends growing up. It would have helped him figure out this dilemma.

He thought back to the first person that asked to be his friend.

Could we have been friends back then?

At the time he knew they were enemies and it would be impossible. Father had told him he had to capture the avatar. He believed his Father. It was his destiny. They could never be friends.

Now he wasn't so sure.

If Father is wrong about me losing my honor, if he's wrong about my destiny, then maybe we could have been friends. Father would say that Toph was an enemy too. He would say that we could never be friends. He would tell me to get rid of her before she became an obstacle to the Fire Nation. But now we're (possibly) friends and I don't feel like I've betrayed the Fire Nation by doing so.

He shivered at the thought of Father finding out about Toph. Finding out there was an Earthbending prodigy that could rival Azula waiting out in Gaoling.

He gulped and looked around the quiet city of Gaoling. It was dark out but he could already imagine it in a sea of flames.

He would burn it to the ground. He realized with a sinking feeling of dread.

At that moment he decided that no matter what happened with his Father, he wouldn't tell him about Gaoling. Even if his father ended up being right, he would keep it a secret between him and his Uncle. He would keep it from Azula too, knowing what she would do if she found out there was somebody that didn't hate him.

He got to the edge of the Beifong estate and waited for the guards to change before scaling the wall and landing quietly in the courtyard. He hid behind the bushes as he listened to the guards move about the estate.

He slid on his Blue Spirit mask and got ready to sprint into the house. He knew that if he got inside there would be fewer guards to worry about.

Why are there so many guards outside? There weren't this many yesterday.

He put the thought away as he saw an opening in the guard's rotation. He sprinted into the house, silently closing the door behind him as he took a foot inside.

The wooden mansion was enormous, stretching for acres, and easily the biggest house in Gaoling. A flying boar design was scattered around the mansion. The walls were lined with paintings and expensive vases. Zuko looked around in slight awe.

Kind of reminds me of the palace. At least I know I didn't pick the wrong house.

He was startled out of his thoughts as he heard footsteps approaching from around the corner. He chose a closet and hid in it, waiting for them to pass him. He caught snippets of their conversation as they passed him.

"...that's why so many of us were called in. The boss said Lao wanted to protect his treasure down at the west wing so he hired a ton of extra guards."

"Why does he need us now though? He had plenty of guards already, why do we need to be here in the dead of night just cause Lao's paranoid."

"I don't know man. I heard a rumor that they were attacked by Earthbenders today. People outside of the estate said there was a huge earthquake. I tried asking the servants but their lips were sealed."

Zuko heard one of the guards sigh and continue complaining as they got farther away from him.

Lao's the head of the Beifong estate. I didn't hear anything about someone trying to steal from him but I guess it makes sense. It explains the extra security at least.

He stepped out of the closet and looked at where the guards went, then in the direction of the west wing where he now knew Lao's treasure was located.

They wouldn't be expecting a second attempt at the treasure on the same night. I might have to knock out some of the guards but it shouldn't be too hard to get the treasure and get out.

He smiled and snuck towards the west wing.

This might be the last time I steal shit as the Blue Spirit, I might as well go all out.