Leaving Gaoling pt. 2

Zuko made it to the west wing.

He had been able to avoid most of the patrols, but even he couldn't sneak past all of them. He had to knock a few of them unconscious before making it to the west wing. He gave himself 30 minutes before the remaining guards realized a few of them were missing.

Hopefully, no one looks in the closet I stashed them in. That would be awkward.

He silently entered the west wing, and to his surprise, the wing was shaped like a living room. Scrolls and paintings lined the walls to his left and right, with a couch and desk pushed up against the far wall with a door in between them. He supposed the treasure was stashed behind the door at the end of the room.

He silently made his way toward the far door and creaked it open. He lit a small fire in his hand and froze when he saw what was inside.

"Toph?" He said in surprise.

She was sleeping on a giant bed, with the room reminding him of his sister's room back at the palace. It was clean and regal, with only a few personal touches to it.

She's a Beifong? But everyone said they didn't have a daughter. Did they lie?

He was taken out of his thought as Toph woke up sleepily, rubbing her eyes which seemed suspiciously red, and tilting her head in surprise. Her expression quickly changed to excitement, as she sprinted up to him and punched him in his shoulder.

"Scruffy? What are you doing here? And what are you wearing on your face?" She extended her hand and started poking his Blue Spirit mask.

He swatted her finger away in annoyance, even though he was happy to see her too, and set his mask down on the counter next to him. He explained how he was trying to rob Beifong's estate so he could have money before he left town to find his uncle. He made sure to emphasize how he didn't know she lived here or he would have chosen a different house.

She looked at him after he was done and started laughing, "So let me get this straight. You were willing to sneak past over 30 guards and steal the Lao Beifong's 'treasure', but the fact that I live here is what would have changed your mind." She snorted at how ridiculous Scruffy's logic was.

He doesn't think things through, does he? Can't say I'm surprised though, only someone that reckless would sit in the front row of an Earth Rumble.

She chuckled to herself as Scruffy started getting worked up from his embarrassment.

"Of course, I wouldn't rob your house! Why would I rob my friend's house, I'm not Azula! Besides you would have caught me if you weren't sleeping so robbing your house would be too risky." He finished whisper-yelling his defense, looking at her shocked face as he realized what he accidentally said.

"You think we're friends?" She asked quietly, trying not to let the hope in her voice show.

Zuko started sweating as he tried to explain how little he knew about social situations, hoping he didn't offend her by implying they were friends, "Um, I mean, I guess I thought we could be considered friends. I don't know about friends, I've never had one. Only Azula was allowed to have them. I mean if you don't want to be friends that makes sense. I just -" He stopped his nervous rant as he felt her punch his shoulder and beam up at him.

"Of course, we're friends Scruffy. I've never had a friend either, but I'll learn. Besides, I'm the greatest Earthbender in the world, so I'll be a great friend to you." She pointed to herself with her head held high.

He chuckled at her usual confidence and relaxed a little.

I have a friend. They both thought, not realizing how important that was to the two of them.