Their Story

Zuko did nothing wrong.

That's why he wasn't nervous right now. He knew he didn't threaten her. He just... held his swords, that's all.

So here he was, not trying to defend himself.

"I didn't threaten you! It was a reflex!"

"I don't know Sparky, I think we remember things differently. I recall seeing you glare at me."

"I wasn't glaring at you, I was... ugh would you stop doing that!"

Toph was laughing as Zuko just grumbled into his food.

Iroh was chuckling, amused by their interactions.

He could tell they were jesting, and he was all the more excited to know what had happened to his nephew while he was gone.

He just hoped nothing too dangerous happened...

.......

"I'm telling you Sparky, everyone thought you were a psycho when you sat in the front row."

Zuko rolled his eyes, "I don't see the big deal. I wanted to see the action and the front row was the closest."

"Yeah Sparky, that's why no one sits there. Even Earthbenders have to be careful because they could get hit if they don't react in time. The only reason Xin Fu let me fight you was that he saw you sitting there and thought you were an Earthbender."

"Wait, is that what you told him when you whispered to him afterward."

Toph grinned, "Yup. Told him you were a super strong Earthbender and wanted to have a match with you."

Zuko narrowed his eyes at her, "Didn't you say you knew I wasn't an Earthbender when we first met."

Toph snickered, "Yup. But Xin Fu didn't, so he bought it. No hard feelings though, right? I didn't beat you up too bad after all."

Zuko answered by stealing some of her food, remembering a very different definition of 'too bad.

Iroh watched them squabble. It was strange to know they met because his nephew had made another very dangerous decision. Usually, his reckless decisions don't work out this well.

Iroh just sighed, It seems that some things haven't changed at least.

He hoped that would be the most dangerous thing his nephew did while they were separated.

.......

"You learned from the badger moles?"

Iroh was very surprised by this. While he knew the benefits of learning from the original source, he hadn't expected the young Earthbender to have done the same. Usually, benders that seek them out have done so after mastering their element. The fact that someone so young had done so already was incredible.

I suppose that would explain her 'sight'. I figured she had learned to see through the earth but never expected her to have learned from the original source. It is kind of ironic but she may be as talented as Azula, or at least close to it.

Toph interrupted his thoughts, "Sure did Gramps. I met them when I ran away and they taught me to see. I learned Earthbending from them and started the Blind Bandit gig afterward. They're adorable."

Zuko shook his head, remembering the giant creatures he thought were going to eat him.

"Adorable my butt," He muttered.

Toph kicked him in the shin for that comment.

"I still can't believe you were scared of them Sparky. They're so big and fluffy. That's like the most non-threatening thing ever."