Tsu Zin pt. 1

Zuko and Toph had just gotten to Tsu Zin.

The town was pretty empty and there were only a few stalls. The original plan was to use Toph's seal to get some supplies and rent a room for the night. That plan quickly fell apart as he showed the vendor the seal.

"What's that? I only accept coins so it would be appreciated if you didn't try to scam me." The vendor responded, not knowing about the Beifong family.

Zuko groaned, Fuck. That complicates things. This has only happened at one other village since Toph and I started traveling. Of course, this had to be the other one. I'm never lucky.

He just sighed and turned to tell Toph the bad news, when he heard her snicker, "Incoming Sparky."

He looked at her, confused as she dipped around the corner pulling a little kid with her. Then he heard someone yell, "Hey! Are you throwing eggs around here stranger?"

He turned around to see four men in Earth's kingdom attire, three were holding spears and the last had two hammers on his hips. One of them had an egg on his head, and suddenly Toph's disappearance made sense.

Goddamit Toph. I don't want to fight them right now. The hammer dude might be an Earthbender too. Ugh.

He just sighed, "I don't know what you're talking about."

The one with hammers just glared, "Eggs don't just come falling out of the sky. Had to come from somewhere."

Zuko just shrugged, putting his hand on his swords, "Maybe a chicken flew over."

The leader just glared at him until he noticed the Beifong seal in Zuko's hand. He looked surprised but then he just smiled and patted Zuko on the shoulder, "You should be careful stranger. The price for staying in the town's a lot steeper than you can afford."

The man walked away after the threat and Zuko looked around for where Toph went. He found her and a little boy behind her ostrich horse, having just watched the scene unfold.

The little kid spoke up, "That was so cool. My name's Lee, thanks for not ratting me out mister. Your sister told me you had it covered."

Toph was chuckling, trying to hold back her laughter, "Yeah Li, thanks for covering for us. Maybe come up with a better story next time though."

Zuko's face heated up in embarrassment as he looked away from her, refusing to acknowledge his poorly thought-out lie.

"Whatever Toph, we gotta find a new place to get supplies. This one doesn't accept our cash."

The kid spoke up, "You and your sister can stay at my house, we can feed your ostrich horses too since you helped me out."

Zuko didn't want handouts but Toph spoke first, "Sure thing Lee, we'll take your offer."

Lee just smiled, "Great. Come on, I'll lead you to my house." He grabbed Toph's ostrich horse and started walking. Zuko grabbed his mount and started following.

He pulled Toph a little ways back to talk to her, "Why did you accept to stay at their house? We still have to get supplies for tomorrow."

Toph snorted, "Just relax Sparky, I don't know if you noticed but this place is in the middle of nowhere. If the seal didn't work on the vendor back there it's not gonna work anywhere in town. This Lee kid is gonna give us free food and a place to sleep. It would be dumb not to take it."

Zuko just grits his teeth, knowing she had a point but not wanting to admit it.

"Fine, but we leave first thing tomorrow. I don't like the way that hammer guy reacted when he saw your seal."