Siblings pt. 2

Zuko woke up at dawn as usual.

He felt weird, he hadn't had a nightmare that night. He expected to have one but he didn't.

He wondered if it was because of what happened yesterday. He knew that it probably meant nothing but yesterday Than had mistaken him as Toph's brother. He knew it wasn't true, and he could have corrected him, but he found that he didn't want to. He found that he was happy when Toph didn't correct him either.

Zuko sighed, going through his morning meditation before the rest of the camp woke up. He knew he should try to focus on his inner flame like he usually did, but this morning his mind wandered.

Do we look like siblings? I know we both have black hair but do we look that similar? Was Toph offended that she was mistaken for my sister? She didn't correct them either though so is it fine? Does she want to be my sister?

Azula's voice played in the back of his mind, maybe you'll get a nice Earth Kingdom family to adopt you.

He sighed, What am I thinking? Of course, Toph doesn't want to be my sister, I'm already a horrible brother. Hell, my actual sister (probably?) wants to kill me. I must be a horrible brother if that's the case.

He heard Toph's voice from the back of his mind, If I was your sister, I would never hurt you.

He gave up on meditation and got his swords out for some light training. He was about an hour in when he heard Than walk out of his tent, he looked toward Zuko and whistled.

"You weren't lying when you said you were good with those swords."

Zuko shrugged, "I've been training since I was a kid."

Than just hummed in agreement and sat to watch him finish his training. Once he was done he heard Than sigh, "You know, you kind of remind me of my brother."

Zuko stiffened, a little surprised at the sudden admission, "What do you mean?"

Than gave a sad smile, "My brother Yu was in the army. Growing up he used to train like crazy, always saying he would grow up strong so he could protect me from the Fire Nation." He got quiet as he looked at the ground, "You remind me of him, the way you train and the way you look out for your younger sister."

Zuko felt the grief in his voice and realized Yu probably wasn't around anymore, "What happened to him?"

Than got quiet, "What happens to most soldiers, he didn't come back."

They were silent for a while until Zuko voiced his thoughts, trying to ignore the gnawing guilt in his stomach, "Why are you telling me this?"

Than smiled, "I guess it's because I'm going to be a father soon. I just started thinking about how much I wanted Yu to meet his nephew. About how much I wish he was still here."

He looked at Zuko, "It scares me that you're so young and traveling in such a dangerous world. I guess I'm just trying to say you should be careful. I know what it's like to lose a sibling. You're a good brother Li, that's why I can tell your going to take care of Toph. Just, make sure you take care of yourself too."

Zuko was silent as Than started to pack up camp.

He finally got the courage to ask, "Do you really think I'm a good brother?"

Than looked back and just chuckled, "Of course you are. She wouldn't love you so much if you weren't."

Zuko was silent for a long time after that.

..........

Zuko and Toph had said goodbye to Than and Ying a few hours ago, wishing them good luck on their journey to Ba Sing Se. They were less than an hour from Tsu Zin, and neither of them had said much.

They were both thinking about how Than and Ying treated them like siblings.

Toph was lost in her thoughts, wondering what Sparky thought of her.

Was he mad that they thought I was his sister? Was he mad that I didn't correct them? He didn't correct them either. Does that mean he's fine with it? He wouldn't mind being my brother? Should I ask him? I don't know how siblings work though. I'm not going to act like his shitty birth sister though. I don't care if that's how little sisters are expected to act, I'm not doing it.

She got a little bitter thinking about Azula.

I don't care what kind of 'genius' prodigy she's supposed to be. She's an idiot for not appreciating Sparky. She's lucky that Sparky's so nice. He probably still loves her, even after she tormented him. She's lucky that Sparky's her brother. It would be awesome if Sparky was my brother. It would be awesome if he...

She clenched her fist, realizing how much she wanted the lie they told to Than and Ying to be true.

I could ask him. I could ask him if he wants to be my brother. I could ask him if he...

Her mind flashed back to Gaoling, watching as her father turned away from her to answer the same question she wanted to ask Sparky.

She shook her head, Sparky's my friend. I can't risk ruining that. I couldn't... I couldn't handle it if he lied to me.

She was pulled out of her thoughts as Sparky called her name.

He turned to her, "Hey Toph."

She turned to him, "Yeah Sparky, what is it?"

He was silent for a bit before answering, "Do you want to keep telling people you're my sister?"

Toph's eyes widened and she blurted out, "What?"

She heard him flinch before answering, 'Uh, in Tsu Zin. We might have to stay a day or two. It'll be easier to blend in if we say that we're siblings."

She swallowed the disappointment she felt before she realized that she could get an answer this way. His heartbeat would tell her if he thought it was true, even if he didn't.

I just need him to say 'this is my sister'. His heartbeat will tell me the rest. Do I want to know though?

She thought back to her father grabbing her wrist, dragging her as he lied to himself, telling her that he loved his daughter. She felt dread sink in at the thought of Sparky's heartbeat rising as he said she was his sister.

But this way I can keep pretending to be his sister. Even if it isn't real. I liked it when Than called him my brother. I want to hear that again. Besides, I don't know if he'll want me around once we find his Uncle. I might not get this chance again.

She took a deep breath, she had a plan. Her plan was risky but at least it would save her from knowing.

"Sure thing Sparky, just make sure to let me introduce us. It'll be more believable if I'm the one who says we're siblings."

And this way I won't have to hear you say it. I don't have to risk hearing you lie.

Zuko agreed as he spotted Tsu Zin in the distance.

"Of course."