16. ┊ reunion of past times

disclaimer: all scaramouche and reader interactions are platonic and/or familial, and should not be seen as anything else.

"Scara, it is." Scaramouche smiled. A genuine, heartfelt smile.

You paused for a second, witnessing the first time you'd ever seen Scaramouche smile. The first real smile you'd ever seen him put on, or that he'd given you.

At the sight of his smile, many in the crowd began to whisper to each other.

"Who is that kid?"

"Why does the Sixth Harbinger seem so close to them?"

"Why is he acting so nice?"

Their voices rang in your ears. The clump of voices clouded your head, and you began to feel overwhelmed.

Scaramouche, on the other hand, was unbothered by the murmurs. In fact, it was like he didn't care about them at all. He was far above them in both power and status, so did he really give enough to care?

Your eyes skimmed through the crowd, seeing others turning to their companions to gossip. Upon coming across that, you subconsciously lowered your head.

"Are you self-conscious?" Scaramouche asked abruptly, yanking you out of your thoughts.

You quickly shot your head back to look at Scaramouche, shaking your head violently. You were eager to turn that statement down despite the fact that he was right.

Scaramouche raised his eyebrow, skeptical, "You're not fooling anyone." He told blankly, "Anyway, don't be. I doubt these low-lives have the guts to speak down on you."

"Gee, if only it were that easy." You thought to yourself while rolling your eyes. But, he had a point.

You took in multiple deep breaths, convincing yourself to relax.

You steadied your breath, ignoring the world and focusing on yourself.

"It's okay." You repeated to yourself mentally. Affirming that over and over allowed your mind to shift elsewhere, and you managed to soothe yourself down. As you did so, the voices in the crowd gradually dulled. In the moment, it was just you and Scaramouche. As if the world was centered around the two of you just for this moment.

In your past life, you were an outcast. Never truly fitting in with society, never being able to call your house a "home," never finding the love in your life that you desired. Everyone during those times seemed to pity you. Talking as if you were an insignificant, lowly child that could never do anything right. As if you were never going to be good enough for anyone.

But, those times were gone. And as you lifted your head back up, you saw the reassurance in Scara's eyes. His expression still laid irritable, eyebrows furrowed slightly and accompanied with an attitude that seemed as though he would pounce on anyone who spoke within two feet. Yet, his eyes displayed the words that he refused to speak.