35. ┊ protagonist of the story

"To Y/N,

"To Y/N,

How have you been lately? I apologize for my absence of letters, as I've been gone at sea with Captain Beidou and the Crux Fleet. We're going to be docking the ship by the harbor again for a supply run soon, and I'll be able to send my letter to you. Or, by the time you're reading this, we would have already stopped by the city.

There's a haiku that I'm writing, however it seems I've hit a predicament— and the third phrase remains unwritten. Would you, perhaps, be willing to enlighten me with a suggestion?

'Wind, water, and time
Drift in a gentle pathway'

Please, excuse me if I am burdening you with my poems. But, as the seasons pass by, and the wind breezes by ever faster— I reminisce of our first meeting. It's quite hard to believe that a year has almost blown past us since we first began our exchange of letters, wouldn't you agree?

Would it be too much, to wish to see you again?

-From, Kaedehara Kazuha"

You skimmed through the letter, unable to concentrate and focus on the words printed on the paper. You placed the letter back down on your nightstand, your mind preoccupied by something else. You'd most likely have to focus on writing a letter back to him later.

The past months had flown by in the blink of an eye. Every few weeks or so, you would receive a letter in the mail addressed to you from Kazuha. Despite your constant exchanges, you two hadn't met up since your first interaction with him. After all, you currently resided in Mondstadt. It would take more than work trips to make time to see him, and even then there was no telling if he was docked in Liyue.

There was also... something more mind-consuming to think about. The events of the game were bound to begin soon.

You shouldn't have been this worried. You were going to choose to sit by the sidelines, letting the events play out as they should have. Yet, there was this unnerving, gut-wrenching feeling inside you. It was putting you on the edge. It was making you... anxious.

"Y/N." Diluc knocked on the doorframe, aiming to get your attention as he leaned against it. You were immediately dragged out of your thoughts as you shot your head to look at him, caught off guard.

"...Hello, Master Diluc." Your eyes met his, and he merely let out a low sigh.

"We're in private, I don't need to be addressed so formally." Diluc reassured, his figure moving inside your room as he walked over to your desk. He studied the piles of letters organized neatly in a drawer, and he turned to you in curiosity, "It's about to be a year since you two began to write to each other, correct?"

You calmed down a bit, taking a deep breath before responding, "Almost," You spoke softly, "And, almost two years since you rescued me."

Diluc remained quiet, as if thinking, before his voice cut through the stillness yet again, "Y/N, do you trust me?"