30. ┊ light of despair

It had been about two weeks or so since you had started working under Diluc

You often kept to yourself, not even bothering to contribute to the small talk between the servants. You only focused on the tasks given to you, fulfilling them to the utmost of your ability.

Most of the time, you were alone. Found away from the crowd, thinking silently to yourself.

Your nonchalant behavior and cold demeanor led others to distance themselves away from you. Of course, you didn't mind it. You intended it to be like that.

Diluc watched your figure from the window, his back placed against it as his head was slightly turned to observe you.

Your eyes...

They reminded him of himself. The fury, anger that coursed through them. He recognized them, because he had been like you before. And, he knew. Diluc knew that such rage contained a hidden intention, the hidden intention to exact revenge against those who wronged you.

He knew you were planning something, yet he was unable to distinguish what it was. Only being able to carefully observe your actions from afar.

If it were anything that would put Mondstadt at risk... he would need to prevent it.

"Adelinde." Diluc called over, eyes still focused on you from through the window.

His head housemaid was quick to his side, responding in earnest, "Yes, Master Diluc?"

"Has Y/N exhibited any suspicious behavior or activity?" Diluc questioned. His attention diverted to Adelinde, waiting for her answer.

Adelinde shook her head, "No, not from what I've seen thus far. They're quite devoted to their work, it seems."

Diluc was in contemplation for a moment before he spoke again, "Tomorrow is their off-day, perhaps they'll finally begin to act."

As for you, you had no plans arranged. Being completely honest, you truly weren't planning on anything at the moment. It was more like you were still figuring things out.

You were merely focused on stashing up enough mora for a living. You weren't trying to get close with anyone, and so you mostly secluded yourself in your own bubble.

Diluc looked over at your figure again, seeing as you were sweeping away the leaves on the premises. Adelinde dismissed herself from the conversation soon after.

What were you planning?

Diluc's attention was snatched away when he heard two maids mention your name.

"Have you noticed how Y/N rarely eats or drinks anything?" The maid whispered to the other with a voice of pity.

"Yeah... they're usually too busy with their duties..." The other one nodded.