~ 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 ~

"Can you believe it, D? This is a step in the right direction!" Sloane gushed as she slightly peered into one of the empty guest rooms, watching as Luther stood in front of the mirror, glancing at the red leather suit. "Yeah... I guess so," Dahlia nodded. She rested her back against the wall, her black-heeled boot pressed against the lower-wooded panel. 

Her encounter with Ben played over and over in her head, no matter how much she tried to shake away his obvious plot of deception. She thought of telling Sloane the red flags that were waving furiously in front of her, but she feared her sister would take her as a constant Debby Downer or tell her she was just having trust issues.

She watched out of the corner of her eye as Sparrow Five walked in and talked to Luther, complimenting him and telling him how handsome he looked. "Thanks, Sloane. I'm just not used to this. And what will the rest of my siblings think?" He questioned. "Don't worry, once this is all over, they'll warm up to it," the brunette reassured.

Loud whooshing then filled the academy, and before anyone could say another word, a wave of blue light burst through the hall, spreading out into the city. Or at least what was left of it. Another kugelwave... As the wave pulled back, taking more civilians and building structures with it, sounds of banging and loud conversation came from the front.

With curiosity, the Sparrows walked outside, stunned to see bright orange fires glowing from the crumbling skyscrapers and apartment buildings. The air was filled with heavy smoke, making it difficult for some of them to breathe. Sirens wailed loudly as the officers occupying those cars had been kugelblitzed and the roads were cracked beyond belief, and sinkholes began to form. "Oh god, it's getting worse..." Dahlia spoke, covering her nose and mouth with the sleeve of her jacket.

Out of the corner of her eye, a car with bright headlights was coming in their direction. And from the faint glimpse she got, she saw the logo of the Hotel Obsidian painted in black and gold. The car pulled up to the sidewalk, and someone stepped out of the car. It was Allison Hargreeves. The Sparrows walked closer to the car, and as she opened the trunk, they peered inside to see Harlan's dead body. "You got what you wanted. This is done," The Rumor spoke with no emotion.

Ben glanced over at Fei and Dahlia, a smirk forming at the edge of his lips. He then glanced at Reginald, who only nodded his head before retreating inside. Allison sucked in an angry breath before brushing past Dahlia and storming inside. "What's got her feathers all rustled?" Dahlia questioned. "She lost her daughter and husband when we got here," Luther answered. "Mmm, that explains it. I was getting some angry mom energy from her," Fei sneered.

~~~~~~~

The following morning, Dahlia walked into the kitchen, desperate for a pick-me-up. She wasn't a big coffee drinker, but she needed the extra bit of caffeine to keep her awake. It wasn't the noises of the crumbling world outside or the unholy sounds of Luther and Sloane that bothered her. Instead, it was the toxicity of Allison. That whole night, her anger continued to burn like a forest fire that was difficult to put out. She was confrontational with anybody that so much as even glanced at her. And every time Luther was in the room, she ignored him like he was the bubonic plague.

Dahlia poured the blonde roast cold brew into a plastic Griddy's cup and mixed in just a hint of vanilla and creamer. As she turned to walk away, she could hear arguing coming from the stairwell. Rolling her eyes with exasperation, she poked her head out to hear what was happening. "Viktor is not going to take this well. This should've been a family decision," Luther sighed. Dahlia could hear Allison scoff before blowing out cigarette smoke.