Prologue

Lies are easier to accept than hurtful truths. But that mindset doesn't apply to him. Kaian would rather be hurt a hundred times over and over with the painful truth than be lied to.

     Merciless, cruel, and heartless, Kaian Volkov.

     Deceiving him was a death wish, betraying him was digging your own grave, and hurting him was, and has always been, impossible.

     Kaian grew up in his father's shadow, born and bred to become as feared, if not even more, as Bricrui Volkov was. And the only drawback from all the years spent following his father's footsteps is when they were no longer there.

     He had to learn to pave his own way, guide himself, and solve his own problems without the guidance of the only man that he has ever truly trusted.

     It changed him, they said. Changed to the point where it seemed there wasn't a thing in this world that he cared about. Changed him so much that people no longer knew what to do or what to say around him.

     Bricrui Volkov's death changed all of his children in a number of different ways but whatever it was that altered in Kaian's soul made him much worse than before.

     It made him become the nightmare nobody would be able to forget and that is his power.