Chapter Seven

Mireya

I was so grateful today was a rest day. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about my new task. I had to kill somebody this month. It was part of my job. How surreal was that? And I threw up twice just thinking about it.

I know I told Ivan I had the guts to do it but I was lying through my teeth, who wouldn't?

The entire meeting yesterday was going so well until of course, Ivan had to make me prove to him that I was capable of doing something incredibly inhumane. Then Kaian got into this wild argument with him about Ivan not minding his business and ordering his employees around and then Ivan shut him up by telling him that he was the one in charge and that Kaian works for him, not the other way around.

So when I woke up this morning, the last thing I wanted or needed was a visitor.

But the doorbell had rung and I was glad it wasn't a stranger, well, not only a stranger. It was Eliana and Ivan's wife, Nyah. I haven't met her personally, but I know of her from the binder Kaian gave me.

"Good morning," they greeted.

"Hi, come in, do you guys want coffee?" I asked, opening the door wider so they could come in. "Oh, and nice to meet you, Nyah, I'm Mireya, if you didn't know," I smiled, putting my hand out.

"Eliana told me about you, and Ivan told me about the meeting," she grinned. Was everyone in the mafia gorgeous? I swear every single person I've met had some striking feature to their appearance.

She shook my hand. "It's nice to meet you too," she said.

I led them to the kitchen where they sat on the bar stools by the kitchen island and I began boiling some water.

"We came because Kaian told us you were in need of a trip to the mall, I hope we didn't wake you up,"

Thank god they came, I forgot about the shopping I needed to do. "I've been up for a while now, and you actually reminded me, I forgot about the whole mall thing,"

"If there's anyone to help you with that, it's us," Nyah added. "Well mostly her," she said, gesturing to Eliana. "I just wanted to go to the bookstore,"

"If my obsession is shoes, then hers are books," Eliana said, accepting the mug I gave her with both hands. "Thank you," she said.

Nyah thanked me for hers too and took a tentative sip.

"If you don't mind, Mireya, we were actually planning on having brunch before shopping, you up for it?"

"Sure! That sounds good to me, but you guys don't mind waiting? I still have to get ready," I told them. "You can watch TV if you want, or play board games,"

"We'll keep ourselves occupied, you take your time," Eliana reassured me.

"I'll make a reservation now," Nyah said, taking her phone from her purse.

"And I will go get ready,"

༻✦༺

Working three jobs left me no room or time for friends and it never really bothered me then because I was living with my family, but now, as I sit here with Eliana and Nyah, eating brunch at a restaurant my family would never have been able to afford, I couldn't help but want a friendship like theirs.

They had a sisterly bond, and it was adorable how much they knew about each other. They didn't make me feel left out, either, they asked me lots of questions but not in an intruding type of way, they asked me in the way that they wanted to get to know me, the way friends do.