Chapter Six

Kaian

      Mireya was ten minutes late to the breakfast we were meant to have and as I waited in the office building's cafe, I looked over the menu.

     When she arrived, still in workout clothes; lilac leggings and a loose sweater.

     With her hair braided tightly to her head and her duffel bag slung on one shoulder, she turned heads because she was the clumsiest woman there was.

     What was it with her and tripping over carpets? And why was there even a fucking carpet in the cafe?

     "Sorry I'm late," she said, flopping down on the seat in front of me. "I tripped on the way here and I scraped my hand." She said, and I wasn't anywhere near surprised. She held up her hand as proof of the incident and I frowned at her.

     "I was gonna go home but then there was a pharmacy on the way here so I just got some stuff from there and bandaged my hand," she explained. "And then, I saw that I was already late so I started running and then I bumped into this little girl and her papers went everywhere, so I helped her out because she looked like she was gonna cry-"

     "Mireya, enough," I said, interrupting her.

     "Ok, sorry," she replied, pressing her lips together.

     "Have you eaten?"

     "Nope, not a bit," she answered, picking up her menu and opening it. I watched her scan the pages, her eyes roaming over the words way too quickly, then she lifted the menu up, covering her face. "I don't like it when you watch me, it's weird," she said.

     I rolled my eyes. "Pick quickly, there's something I need to tell you,"

     She peeked over the menu, only her eyes showing. "Is it super important?"

     "If it wasn't, I wouldn't be here,"

     She set the menu down, intertwined her hands together, and laid it on top. "Tell me,"

     "Your first test is in three days," I began.

     "You did all of this to tell me that?" She asked.

     "I'm not finished,"

     "Oh okay, go on," she said, resting her arm on the table and her head in her hand.

     "There's a gala on that day, a birthday party, and everyone on that binder that I gave you might be in attendance,"

     That caught her attention, and she sat straight, her eyes widening a little. "Everyone?"

     "Yes,"

     "And it's a gala? Like ballgowns and stuff?"

     "No, there won't be ballgowns. A simple evening gown would suffice,"

     "I don't have an evening gown,"

      I frowned. "What do you mean you do not have an evening gown? I gave you a list of clothing items you needed to purchase,"

     "When did you give me the list?"

     "In the email with the digital copy of your contract," I answered.

     "Oh, I didn't read that,"

     I stared at her in utter shock. This woman was an irresponsible nuisance. Why the fuck did I hire her?

     "Hello, may I take your order please?"

     "Yes!" She said, excitedly. "I will have the grilled cheese with fruit on the side and the mango tango milkshake," she recited.