Chapter Four

Kaian

"I told you she has a way with words," Amir said.

"Not just words, actions, too," Eliana added. "Did you see that? She drove away with your car, Kaian. Your car! If you're not going to hire her then I will,"

I was impressed. Thoroughly impressed and she needed to be on my team instantly.

"So she doesn't know it was a test?" I asked.

"No, she thinks you're the enemy,"

"Well you better let her know she'll be working for me," I said, looking at the time on my watch. "And tell her to bring my car back,"

༻✦༺

Amir, Eliana, and I were waiting in my New York office for my new employee. She stumbled into the room, cursing her shoes, her brows furrowed at the carpet.

When she finally looked up and made eye contact with me, her eyes widened. "Are you tricking me?" she asked, completely bewildered.

Eliana laughed. "No, hun, come sit down,"

"It was only a test, so don't worry, you're safe," Amir added.

Still looking at me, she sat down in between Amir and Eliana cautiously. "I haven't driven a car in a very long time so there's a scratch..." she admitted.

I sat back, not giving a fuck about the scratch and more curious about the fact that this woman did not fear me.

"You do understand that nobody has ever stolen my wallet, the small thing that it is, from me, right? And you've just stolen my car, right in front of me and I would never have suspected it. A scratch on that car is the least of my worries,"

She looked at the two beings beside her, who were looking at her so proudly as if she was their child. She grinned.

"That was a test? Why would you do that to me?" she asked, her smile disappearing like mist.

"To see if you're worth hiring," I answered.

"Oh," she said. "I am, or else I wouldn't be here, are you giving me your job offer?" she asked, sitting back in her seat.

"I don't believe you're inexperienced in this field, who trained you?" I asked, trying to hide my surprise every time she opened her mouth to say something.

She crossed her arms. "I trained myself through experience, not just because," she answered. "I'm not proud of being a thief, at all. But when it comes to desperation, there's really nothing that stops a human being from doing things that aren't the most sensible." She answered, without hesitation. "My family has never once lived a comfortable enough life where all of us could be at home doing nothing. Someone always has to work, just so we can have food on the table."

Eliana put the job contract in front of her. "I'm sorry to hear that,"

Mireya shrugged. "You take what you can get and you never feel sorry for it," she said, taking the papers and scanning over them.

Amir looked at me, seeing my reaction and I masked it, not wanting him to know how satisfied I was that he found someone the slightest bit compatible with the standards I had.

"So you're telling me you want to hire me for a job that literally requires me to have the skills of, not only a thief, but a murderer as well?" she asked, flipping back to the front page of the contract.

"In summary, yes."

She pressed her lips together. "And you're paying me twenty grand minimum for every job I finish?"