Episode 6: Breaking The Ice!

Aokime managed to recover pretty quickly after he woke up. He was waking up in the morning and training to get himself back in shape and to improve his techniques. Wearing nothing but the patient pants, his blue haori, and the bandages that wrapped around his stomach and chest, he was continuously swinging his wooden sword with a force that slowly began to cut through the air. This was starting to drain his stamina faster than usual which made each swinger stronger and stronger until suddenly his focus was broken when he heard a small giggling off to the side. Turning to his left, the familiar face wearing a Butterfly Haori was sitting down on the steps from the building next to Aokime.

"You've been so focused on your training these past few days ever since you woke up, it's very commendable even after suffering the injuries you suffered."
Aokime stopped swinging his sword for a minute before looking down at his hand. In a split second, he saw the blood from that night before snapping back to reality. Kanae, noticing Aokime looking at his hand, got up and walks up to comfort him.
"I know it must've been difficult to witness such a traumatic event in front of your eyes, but don't beat yourself up too much. This is how we live and learn through it all, make sure to not let it get to you."

Aokime was a bit surprised. Kanae since the day he woke up, has been very attentive to him and even ensuring that he is well taken care of. This was different for him as he hasn't met someone as sweet as Kanae. She was definitely the polar opposite of Shinobu and frankly more... nurturing. It was different and Aokime had some difficulties processing it.
"Thank you, Kanae. I won't let this get to me, but I know now how far behind I am in strength. I will keep getting stronger to help protect more citizens and my comrades."
Kanae gave Aokime a thumbs up.
"I will be rooting for you every step of the way. If you ever want to train with the Hashiras, let me know and I'll be more than happy to help."
Aokime forgot that Kanae was a Hashira, as well as Himejima. If it means that he can get stronger and help out the demon slayers, it will be the best decision he can make!
"Actually... I would really appreciate the help, especially from a Hashira."
"Well, I'm glad you asked!"

In that split second, she pulled out a wooden sword as if she was waiting for this moment to take on Aokime.
"Wait where did you have that sword?!"
"Oh don't worry! After watching you train these past couple of days I was ready to challenge you, but I wanted to make sure you were ready to train!"
For some reason, the atmosphere had changed as Kanae was showing a more competitive side to fight which Aokime was definitely not prepared for.
"Well if this is the first step to getting stronger, then I'll gladly accept!"
Kanae had a big smile on her face before lunging at Aokime. Kanae's speed was frighteningly faster than what Aokime expected and he barely blocked her attack. However, the moment her sword clashed with his, he was sent flying back. Just luckily landing on his feet safely, Aokime's eyes widened to the max.
"That speed and that strength! How is this possible?! Is this the strength of a Hashira?!"

Quickly getting back into his stance, Aokime rushed Kanae to strike her. Swinging his sword against hers resulted in Aokime feeling the recoil of his own attack. She barely budged an inch as she was still in place.
"Come on Aokime. Don't give up now. Give me everything you got!"
Rushing at Aokime with incredible speed, delivering a barrage of attacks. She was so quick that it looked like afterimages of Kanae were attacking him from all angles that not even his defense could handle it. This is when Aokime decided to use his breathing style to try and gain the advantage.

"Ice Breathing - First Form: Permafrost Slash!"
Lunging at Kanae as shooting a horizontal slash. She dodged with ease but Aokime followed up with his next technique.
"Ice Breathing - Second Form: Rapid Frostbite!"
Still moving forward, he used the momentum of the swing to follow up with a barrage of slashes. Kanae was still dodging his attacks, but the distance between them was getting smaller and smaller. Now it was time to close the distance now!
"Ice Breathing - Third Form: Piercing Ice Spear!"
Before he was in a position to lunge forward, his sword was about three feet away from Kanae who was still landing from the dodges she attempted. Aokime was ready to win this fight as this was the combo his father taught him to swiftly end the fight.