Episode 1: The Butterflies!

[ 9 Years Later...]

It was a clear sunny day

It was a clear sunny day. Aokime and his Father left to town to gather some fabrics for Anoki. Aokime and Kenichi decided to head into town that was close to their home as it had many shops there to explore. After winter, when the snow melted out completely, everyone in town began to open up shop once more, selling all kinds of things such as food, clothes, toys, dolls, and much more.
"What did Mother have in mind for us?"
"She wanted to knit some haoris for you and your sister. Mostly for the fact you are out growing the other clothes now, but she had something special in mind for you."
The two continued walking around until they were stopped by two girls that wore butterfly hairpins who one of them seem to have recognized Kenichi.

"Mr. Nishikawa! Mr. Nishikawa! It's good to see you again!" As the young woman walked up to Kenichi with a smile.
"It really has been a while, Kanae. Good to see you as well."
Kenichi smiled back at her as he then turned to Aokime.
"Aokime, this Kanae one of the demon slayers I had fought alongside with. She is exceptionally skilled with her sword. Kanae, this is my son Aokime."
"It's nice to meet you, Kanae." Waving at her with a smile.
"It's nice to meet you as well, Aokime. Oh, Mr. Nishikawa! I was promoted to a Pillar of the Demon Slayers now! All that hard work paid off!"
With a joyful smile, which made Kenichi smile.
"Oh, Mr. Nishikawa and Aokime, I'd like for you to meet my little sister Shinobu."

Introducing the young girl that was standing next to her. She had short black hair with purple ends. She waved to Kenichi and Aokime, but didn't say anything at all.
"I see she is a Demon Slayer as well. I hope you have been training her well."
With a small chuckle as he smiled to see one of his underlings growing so much in such a short amount of time.
"Oh Kanae, can I have a word with you for a moment?"
"Absolutely! Shinobu, can you join Aokime for a moment while I talk to Mr. Nishikawa?"
As Kanae smiled at Shinobu, before walking bit off to the side to talk with Kenichi.

 Nishikawa?"As Kanae smiled at Shinobu, before walking bit off to the side to talk with Kenichi

Art by Mico!

Aokime was standing there, staring at the small girl with the butterfly pin on her hair. She had a serious look on her face and before he could say anything, she spoke up.
"Before you say anything, yes I am really small to be part of the Demon Slayer Corp." Shinobu spoke as she crossed her arms while still retaining a very serious face.
"Wait... you're a Demon Slayer?"
Aokime was left perplexed that a child was even allowed to be a demon slayer. However, he noticed the uniform the two girls were wearing was part of the Demon Slayer Corp. which was represented in a all black button up shirt and pants, followed by a haori of their own choice and design.

She must be really strong if she is capable of being part of the Demon Slayers. Knowing the danger of fighting them and the horror stories told about them, I commend her for joining.
"I wasn't expecting someone to be part of the Demon Slayer Corp. at such a young age. I guess I can-"
"Aokime. I know what you are thinking and I don't recommend it. If you haven't been trained properly, you'll end up being more of a burden to everyone than of any help."
Shinobu said abruptly in a harsh tone with her arms crossed.

"Well I've been training under my father's teachings since I was young so I think I can take care of myself." Slightly shrugging off her comment.
"If you've been training under Nishikawa Sensei, then I can assure you that you're in good hands, Aokime." As Kanae said in response to Aokime's comment. Her and Kenichi were walking back from their small talk. Just in time to since all Aokime could really feel was this awkward tensed atmosphere between him and Shinobu.

"I sure hope my teachings aren't put to waste. After all, I did want to be sure he can defend himself if the time ever comes.
Kenichi chuckled which had Kanae chuckling too.
"Well I'm sure he will make a fine Swordsman. Thank you again Mr. Nishikawa. Shinobu and I will be on our way now. Hope to see you again soon."
As Kanae waved good-bye to the two, Shinobu looked back at Aokime for a moment before continuing forward.
"Kanae was one of my underlings who I helped train when she joined the Demon Slayers. Her and her sister Shinobu both started at a very young age due to unfortunate circumstances. However, I can see that they are both doing great in keeping the peace."

It was surprising to Aokime that his father had trained and helped other demon slayers, and it really left a good impression of how incredible Kenichi was. Not only as a father, but as a former Hashira of the Demon Slayers.
"By the way, what did you and Kanae talk about?"
"Oh it's nothing. Just a bit of catching up with her since we haven't seen each other since my retirement."
"Oh ok. Well it was weird being left alone with her sister."
"Well did you make a move on her?"
"A what?"
His father began chuckling.
"You are still so young... I know that dreadful day will come when I have to give you the talk about women."
Before Aokime could say anything, Kenichi yelled: "Aha! Those are the materials we were looking for!"
As he pointed at some cloths which looked like the exact materials his mother needed.

The trip into town was now over as they gathered all the materials they needed. However, Aokime couldn't stop thinking about the encounter with Kanae and Shinobu. Since now his decision to be a Demon Slayer was becoming ever so clear. Those girls made the choice to serve in the Corp. and help protect Japan from the chaos the demons brought onto their land. That only further strengthen Aokime's resolve to make the choice he wanted to make for a while.

As time passed and night fell, Aokime was with his  9 year old sister Nanami, playing with her and her handmade dolls that their mother made.
"Aokime! Nanami! Food is ready!"
"Perfect! Lets go Nanami."
"Yes brother!"
As they were all gathered together eating at the table, Aokime was thinking about Shinobu as she was able to join the Demon Slayer Corp at such a young age. It made it clear for what he wanted to do.
"Mother. Father. I want to join the Demon Slayers."
The table was rather quiet, but his mother spoke up.
"I was afraid you'd bring that up again after so long. However, you've been consistent with your Father in the trainings. It was only a matter of time before you were of age to make such a decision."

Her response was a bit surprising as one would think that their own parent would reject their child's decision to do something so dangerous. However, she just accepted it and was ready to support her son's decision. It even left his Father perplexed.
"A-are you sure honey? If you didn't want for him to join it I would wholeheartedly understand."
"I am very sure dear. Our son has worked really hard for these years and has grown to be an exceptional young man. After all, I believe he will be just as amazing as you are. Helping and training the next generation to protect others around them. I don't see why he shouldn't follow the same path as us."

It was settled!

Aokime was going to put all his training to good use! It was time to prepare for the final selection! The one chance he has to join the Demon Slayer Corp. and become a Hashira like his Father!