❧ twenty-three

A yawn fell from my lips as I exited my room and walked down the stairs. It was silent. My father had long gone to work and Daniela was doing groceries. She woke me up when she came to tell me, simply thinking I was tired from working at my shift this morning. I was grateful it wasn't a long one.

Staying up till four o'clock in the morning and then having to wake up early was not a good combination. If I had remembered I needed to head to work, I would have never agreed to jump on Royden's cycle and head off in the night. But then, I wouldn't have experienced the amazing time I had―we had.

I ran a hand through my hair, yawning once more and bumping into the door. I forgot to actually open it. A groan left my lips and I shook my head a little, entering the living room. The nap should have done me good, but I wasn't feeling the effects yet.

The doorbell rang. I stopped in my tracks, turned around and made my way to the front door. Before I opened the door, I rubbed my hands over my face, straightened my clothes and took a deep breath.

Look awake for a few moments. That's all.

I opened the door to reveal Royden. He was leaning against the porch casually. He was clad in blue jeans, white sneakers and his famous bomber jack. His hair was styled on top of his head. He was looking good.

My eyes travelled towards the noise coming from down the street. Royden was looking at it, too. I stepped next to him, so I could see my two neighbours bickering. They were always bickering.

"What's the issue this time?" I asked with a little yawn. Royden's eyes fell down to me before he pushed himself off the porch and stepped closer to me.

"Don't know. It was already happening when I arrived," he explained.

I nodded my head as we watched my neighbours arguing, their voices becoming louder and louder. Another yawn escaped my lips and I rested my head against Royden's arm as a shiver ran down my spine.

He nudged me a little and I looked up at him. "Let's get inside. You're shivering."

I showed him a smile and we headed towards the door, walking in the warm house. He kicked off his shoes at the door before walking further in. I trailed behind him slowly as I rubbed my eyes, trying to look a little more presentable and awake.

My eyes caught my hair in the mirror and I cringed a little. It was tangled and in knots; a true bedhead for me. A sigh escaped my lips as I walked in the kitchen. Nothing to be done now.

Royden placed the brown bag on the table and turned to face me, taking a sip of his coffee. My face fell as I had hoped it would be for me, and then I reminded myself he didn't need to bring me anything.

A smirk grew on his lips as I sat down on the stool. I raised an eyebrow at him and he shoved the bag towards me, nodding his head at it, telling me to open it. A smile appeared on my face. One coffee and a couple of donuts.

"You bought this for me?" I asked, looking up at him.

"Yup," he said as he sat down next to me. "Figured you could use a coffee and a peace-offering for dragging you out of the house in the middle of the night."

A small chuckle escaped my lips and I leaned over to place a kiss on his cheek. My heart fluttered in my chest. "You're the best. Thank you."

He shrugged, cleared his throat and looked away from me. I took the coffee out of the bag carefully. The cup was still warm. I brought the straw to my lips and took a sip, tasting the sweet mocha on my tongue.

"My favourite," I whispered.

Royden looked back at me and nodded his head. A small smile was plastered on his face. His cheeks were pink, pinker than when he entered the house. His eyes held dark circles underneath them. They were slightly droopy as well, like he had recently woken up.