❧ thirty-nine

My eyes flitted around the room, taking in everything as I observed every man entering and exiting the entrance hall. The walls were light grey, but smudged and dirty. They were covered with posters with all sorts of guns, men firing and holding guns, targets. The floor was dark grey and stone. I could feel the coldness creep up my feet and to my legs. A chill ran down my spine.

I was picking my nails, in hopes it would distract my thoughts. It was a chilly, creepy place; a shooting range. Before Royden, I would never have thought to ever enter such a place. Yet it shouldn't have surprised me when I fell in love with him. He changed my life, for the good and better, but he also showed me the downsides of falling in love with an FBI-agent, who apparently was loved to kill by criminals.

As I looked up at Royden, who was talking with the worker behind the counter, I admired how at ease he was. His whole demeanour was calm and collected yet I could see the way his jaw was tensed and how his head was slightly cocked towards me.

"... So if you walk through that door, someone will be there shortly. Just wait in there," the guy said, handing Royden his receipt.

"Thanks," he replied while stuffing it in his wallet, which he put in his back pocket. He extended his hand for me to take. A small smile tugged at his lips. "Ready?"

"I guess," I said as I took his hand. He intertwined our fingers and led me through the door. It was a narrow hallway. On both sides were multiple doors and at the end was one. The walls, here, were bare and left naked. Gunshots, however muffled, were heard. Goosebumps rose on my arms and my heart thudded quicker in my chest.

The door opened, the one with RANGE written on. The shots were louder, heard how they genuinely were. My stomach knotted and twisted, and the sight of the large guy covered in tattoos, who was heading our way with a smile on his face, didn't help the nerves.

My hand tightened around Royden's and I stepped a little closer to him. I glanced up at him, but he had his eyes focused on the man approaching us.

"Hello, welcome!" he greeted us cheerfully. "I'm Billy, your instructor for the day. Will this be your first time at a shooting range?"

"It will be her first time, but I have been to several ones quite a lot. I'm Royden, by the way. This is my girlfriend Waverly," Royden answered and introduced us to Billy. All I did, was show him a smile.

"Alright! That's clear. I will give the basic rules and then I will help assist while shooting. Come follow me for the earmuffs and the papers you have to sign," Billy said, beckoning us to follow in the room with supplements.

He went over the rules while we filled in forms, stating how it was our own risk being here. It didn't settle the nerves forming a pit in my stomach. My eyes glanced over at Royden, who easily filled in the form. He was done within moments while I was reluctant writing down my information and setting my autograph.

When Billy collected the papers, Royden handed me an earmuff. I fiddled with the protection gear and took a deep breath. I could do this.

I can.

Billy signalled to follow him and the three of us entered the range. My heart jumped in my chest at the loud noises and seeing the many weapons being fired upon a red and white target. Multiple large guys, covered with tattoos and arms broader than my legs, were in each booth.

My hand grasped for Royden's and I kept close to him. I didn't want to lose him in this crowd. It was obvious I was out of my place, in my blue jeans and a grey sweatshirt. My hair was pinned up in a neat bun, so nothing would be in the way.

What the fuck am I doing?

"Alright, these two are available for the moment," Billy said while turning to us. He pointed to the booths right next to each other. We were in the middle and next to us was a booth left open, to create some space to teach. "Can you tell me how much experience you have?"