22: The Great Mayor (P2)

Each time you look into the past, every replay of memory is played differently, seen from different angles and mindsets, the person who goes back to watch, curious about something they before, did not know to wonder about. So, it is a given, that when you come out from your memory, you too have changed from the new insight gained.

The Virty household could be spotted from the roof of any building in the southeastern part of the city. Not because it towered over all the other buildings or because it was situated so far out that surrounded by nature the lone building was visible. It was the bronze dome top, cage-like that connected at the heart of their territory that was visible. It resembled a bird cage without the multiple bars, just six towering bronze beams all connecting over all of their lands, there were multiple short poles sticking out from each beam in no certain pattern that I could see but I figured they might have just been perch's for those who took to the sky. There were other houses and streets beneath the structure, but at the outskirts of it all, a large abstract house, with more windows than walls, but with right angling for privacy, sat the Virty house. They really were at the edge of their own territory, nearing closer to the open desert that began at their generous backyard.

The lights on the house were all on, some movement here and now but no solid figures could be made out. There was probably block magic on the windows to keep others from, well, doing what we were currently up to. Something further out form their house, reflected the night moons, some sort of large pond, I saved that for later.

"What do you think you'll be able to learn from them if we manage to get in?" Venom stood to my right, eyeing the streets and buildings as I was. He had on the white tunic, the long sleeve gray shirt I had grabbed earlier, and black dressing pants. His hair was back to its normal shade of simmering white, so he must have taken another shower at some point, the strands were all pushed away from his face, but since he did not have any of the products he used to hold them in place, a few moved about when a strong gust of wind picked up. The shirt fit him loosely while the tunic was tight around his shoulders and chest, the pants far too short but he pulled it off as if everything had been intentional.

When he turned to look at me questioningly I remembered he had asked me something. "I don't have much hope in there being anything actually useful within the house, it's been too long  but I would hope that perhaps Fleckff wrote about the experiences that turned him into the man he became-"

"Like a diary?" Viper snickered from in front of me, crouched low.

"Men would call it journalling." Venom interjected defensively.

We both turned and looked at him. He turned away stoically. 

"Right, a journal. It wouldn't have been uncommon back then if he had one, even a daily planner would be useful. " I pondered for a moment, I hadn't gotten to know him very well, but he certainly had come off as someone well-known or rather well-connected and on the rise to a promising future. His name had been on the line in regard to the disappearance ad while nothing had been officially solved, the disappearances had certainly ceased to happen. "It has to be a reason why he managed to remain, especially if this happened before he became well known. A loose end...or did no one come to speak to him?"

The more I thought of Fleckff and his involvement, his escaping their clutches, the stranger it seemed. It might have been because his family was so social and outgoing back then, and his disappearance might have sturred questions so soon after my own vanishing, but if they had waited months, it would have been appropriate. The only reasons I could think for them to have not done anything would have been because something larger had been going on and my disappearance had been nothing but a nuisance worth only a wanted poster, or... I was getting too ahead of myself, we hadn't gone near the house at all and I was already theorizing. But now I had the question roaming about. Was I as important as I made myself to be in the council's opinions? Important? I thought back to my answer to Venom's question. No, but I was useful, but I knew too much. One would always outweigh the other. I had the knowledge of their moves, but they held the keys to my chains and now that the chains were removed, just how valuable was what I knew or could insinuate too?