14: On The Other Side of This Door (P2)

I know that not all that lurks within the dark, has a face to name, a form to look upon, that the sounds they make will terrify me like the scream that rustles the leaves on a midnights walk. 

Knowledge is power, it allows decisions to be made, but ignorance allows fear to slumber, unaware of what lurks within the shadows that is dragged along the road. I was a hunter once, tracking and following those who caused unrest and yet...

I found myself staring into the eyes of a predator that glittered with avid attention and something dangerously close to delight. I released the door handles but clasped my hands behind my back, fingers wrapping tight around my left wrist. 

He stood there in front of the crackling fire, flames wild and flickering despite the chill in the room. They might as well have been there for decoration. He had changed into his nightwear, a loose-fitting long sleeve shirt that was as thin as the hoodie had worn today, it had buttons traveling down his chest, but only four held the cloth over his frame. The last four. Almost lazily, the front was tucked into his silken bottoms, the drawstrings untied, his feet bare. Damp hair fell over his face, curtains of white strands dangled uncaring of obstructing his view. Not that it was, in any way. His stance was a mirror of mine. Had I mimicked his?

"I just-" My words would not come out, my mouth shut as my mind tried to find a way to say what I wanted, to get my main points across, but there was too much running through my mind. Frustrated I looked away and around as if the answers would come to me.

"You just?" His voice bounced from all around the room, pushing for me to continue.

"I just...wish to converse." 

He stared at me, those keen eyes no doubt taking in my behavior of the day and pondering over with what I was doing here. He tilted his head to one side and then another before nodding slowly. Without another word he turned. I took a moment to scan his room.

There was a large bed on my left, further in, besides it, a walk-in closet with the door was ajar. On my right a bathroom. I noted ice in the tub, barely beginning to melt as droplets transferred from one ice to another. Upon entering the room the first thing to spot would be the vast space that could be considered the sitting area, but there was no couch or even chairs here. The walls were made of wooden planks but painted white, there were no photos, no nicknacks or personal belongings that would be in any other room. The room was practically vacant, but with a view of the open sky, I guess anything else was a bother.

"Will you join me?" 

Past the bathroom and a step up, he had a floor to ceiling open balcony, the structure turning circular as a dome took shape in the space. Motioning to me he pointed to the singular black armchair that sat pointed outward to face the window. Walking over, I noted how the floor went from plush carpet to cold wood. I was about to walk around the chair as he stood on my left, but all in one motion he spun it on one leg until it faced him. Then he took a few steps back and leaned against the window. I glanced at him, but didn't comment and took a seat.  After a moment I crossed my leg and put a hand on my lap, trying to at least look a bit braver than I felt.

Vulnerable, that is what I would be if I acted upon my plan. Anxiety and dread ate at me, whispering within my mind to not risk it. I must have had a strange or telling look on my face, something that warned him I was close to running from this whole situation.

"What is it you desire of me Mykela?" He murmured. "If you tell me, if it is within my power I will do what I can." 

"It is not that I desire anything from you, but rather that I find ignoring you no longer an option and I don't have the leisure to do this cautiously." My world filled him with confusion and curiosity, white brows furrowing as he watched me.