24: A Family Tree and The Shade Under One

To watch the sky is to wonder what the day could be like, to prepare for the harshest wind or the softest warmth. Plans can always be made, can be adjusted for what the mood of the sky decided to start the day with. A blinding ray of sunlight that will stretch farther than the eye can see, bringing all under its rays light and glory. Or storming clouds of displeasure, little drops of sadness that later beat on the skin like small punishments to all who fail to seek cover.

Any who look up to the skies and wish to know what to expect from the day might have somewhere to be, someone to see, something to do. 

But I always knew what my day would bring regardless of what picture the heavens painted for those below. Sun. Rain. Hail.Thunder. Sunshine. It was all the same when every day was the same, every location was the same, every cry sounded off with the same agonized cry, every plea as sincere as the last and as loud as the next to come after it. 

There was no difference in day or night, so looking upwards was pointless, when hell had a firm grip on your ankles. 

There was something off about the room, something shifted almost. Someone had been here, no doubt. Or maybe our earlier visit had disturbed the air here, no longer as stale, but I couldn't help but feel as if there was a slight change here. Again, I looked around and tried to compare the space to what the room had first appeared like on my first visit, but I knew it was pointless since I hadn't had the best of sightings in the dark. I had a good guess as to who could have come in anyway. 

I was alone now, which didn't happen all too often. I had already skimmed on all of what was about me, there was nothing there I needed, but it was a bit like walking down memory lane. Although my body now was new, it still felt the echos of phantom pains as I had recollections. I chuckled to myself as I rubbed at my sides, before tossing the files away uncaringly. Yes. There was nothing there I would not have already known about. Instead, I dug through the multiple files of corruption, I turned pages for so long, the tips of my fingers felt smooth but covered in dust and old fibers of the pages. A few names were familiar to me, but most often they were not, but the connections to those who wished to keep their secrets were where I placed my focus. Every puppet had its safety sting, for when all the others were cut. There was always one sting made of gold, unlike the others, for those who would rather drag everyone down than perish alone. 

"Thankfully pettiness is a trait we all carry." I clicked my tongue and walked over to the section on the wall where multiple images hung, stings of various colors linking further down to whatever their business and crimes were linked. I followed my own, snatching the pictures and articles off of the walls as I went about, fisting them all as I collected them, whispering a spell under my breath that made smoke rise from my palms. I balled them up, dropping them as the pile grew in my hands, they smoked before catching fire and flickering out, charred paper turning to ash on the stone floor. I reached up and ripped another off the wall then the picture behind me made me drop them all to the floor. My eyes stung at once as I took hold of it with both hands. 

"Oh." I breathed out at the clarity of their faces. So much more defined within the picture than within my memory, which I had thought to be so sharp before. I trailed my finger down their faces, but instead of the warmth of skin, I just felt the smoothness of paper. A striking contrast. A sharp reminder and yet still, I smiled at the picture of my family. 

I couldn't recall the reason for the picture being taken, but I recognized the uncomfortable look on my father's face, the strained smile as he tried not to grimace. He had always hated having his photo taken because of how long it took. I was holding Niveha on my lap while I sat on my mother's lap, her hands wrapped around us both tightly as I grinned ahead. Niveha had a confused look on her face, her face round and shiny, hands gripping onto my collar as she tried to lift her head and look around. I stared at them all, blinking repeatedly. What I had struggled to keep down started to shake again, I took in a deep breath and looked up, closing my eyes as I lowered my hand. I could feel it in my hand, the edges of the picture crumbling within my hand. As all ever did when I touched it.