14: On The Other Side of This Door (P1)

There have been moments in my life where confrontation was inevitable, some questions needed to be answered but people always reacted differently when accused of doing something.

Shame. Anger. Disbelief. Sadness. There were thousands of emotions that were brought forth from being doubted and accused. 

I did not fancy myself someone who pointed a finger towards people lightly, but neither was I naive enough to believe that no one in this world was touched by reality. And sometimes, reality was cruel.

The point, in my eyes, was not folding to that cruel truth no matter what the outcome came to be. 

He didn't seem all that surprised to see me waiting for him when he walked through the front door hours later. Shutting the door behind him he paused before raising a hand removing the hood, pushing his hair away from his face. Through the glass windows that surrounded the door, the sunset, blues, and pinks made his overall bright appearance stand out more as he leaned against the door. Scanning him I noted the very important lack of a book. There weren't any telling signs of anything suspicions, no scent of blood or even human on him.

The best know how to hide. 

I got up from the couch and with my arms crossed over my chest walked up to him. I disliked the look on his face as he took me in, watching my every step with intense precision. When I was at a safe distance I stopped in front of him and looked up.

"Where is the supposed book?"

"Reading is my favorite past time, you learn much without having to put forth effort." He murmured taking a step forward. "But that is not why you've waited for me at the entrance. Go on, Mykela, ask me what you wish."

My palms tingled, I shifted my weight on my leg as my mouth flattened. He made me uncomfortable when he spoke like that, his words always reveling more than I wanted to know and never really answering what I did. The way he answered was as if we were intimately close. We were not. Sometimes I felt responsible for his actions, although unwillingly, I did have a part in his being in this world and so any chaos he brought was partially my fault. Although on the other hand, I knew that I could not be held responsible for his every move and choice, even if I could, he was his own...man. 

"Have you done what I suspected?"

"I am not a violent man." Was all he said. Lifting a hand he stared into my eyes, pinning me to my spot with such intensity that I had no choice but to hold my breath as a finger touched my face and skimmed down. He did it again, but this time I felt something sharp trail down, not breaking the skin, but there.

"But you aren't a man either." I breathed out. I took a step back leaving his hand mid-air, turned, and left.

Not wanting to stay inside with him and my thoughts I went out and sat on the bench beneath the flowers and stared out at the sky, leg crossed over the other, bouncing.

He either did or didn't. If he did there was nothing for me to do even if I wanted to if he didn't then there was also nothing for me to do, but the look in his eyes...he definitely did something.  If he did, he killed a man, then my only question would be, why, really. It was almost sad, that it would be the only question I would have for him, but I was far too used to tragedy. No, this wouldn't fall under tragedy.

It was normal. Snuffing out life was something I had become desensitized over time, be it from my own hands or that of others, but this Mykela and all the ones that awoke always had a sense of guilt and horror to discover that they had been dragged back into a world where the ending was not all fairy tale and happily ever afters. I wasn't blind, I knew that even if I didn't know someone personally I should still be saddened by their demise, but I simply didn't have the...something. I couldn't recall, or pick a word, but I knew I was missing something.