Chapter 34: Progress

"Top 5. Who are they and what are their names?"

Naoko shook her head, zoning out at a point in space again.

"I don't know. Nobody but the Top 5 know each other's names. We all only called them by their ranks or initials."

"Do you think they're coming for you? Or any of you who barely survived?"

She didn't answer. I could see her eyes tearing up. She knew. I knew she knew. But we could never be too sure and this was needed for a final measure.

I turned back to face Renjun who was with me in the room and extended my arm as he handed me over a tablet he held. Looking at the image on the tab, I sighed, looking back at Naoko again.

"I want you to join us."

Her eyes went wide. As expected.

She whipped her head to get a look of me, eyes wide and glassy, her brows raised and face with an overall general look of shock and disbelief.

"It's your only chance, Naoko. You see the guy there?"

I said, pointing at Renjun. Her eyes shifted momentarily off me to look at him, shifting back onto me soon.

"He's an addition. The guys who come to give you food and water are from his gang too. Hyejin and I took them in with the rest of the 2nd Chamber."

Her breathing was growing more even now. I could tell she was listening with intent. Maybe even considering my offer.

"Why? Because they were skilled. And that skill wasn't being put to use with the circumstances they were under. The reason why I asked you this today.."

I leaned in to her, switching the tablet back on as I pressed play on the video, showing it to her.

"Is because you're the same."

The footage started playing as I saw Naoko watch intently. It was the CCTV footage from the Central hijacking that Renjun and Beomgyu took and wiped after the bombing. Thankfully, they took a few as well.

The footage showed the Investigators during the fight, killing the ones barely surviving and clinging onto other Investigators, asking them for help. There was a specific clip they were able to retrieve. An Investigator, ankle broken and a deep cut on his thigh, on the floor and was clinging to the leg of another Investigator. 

"Do.. Dojin.."

She recognized him.. 

even better.

The Investigator was clinging and crying for help from this other Investigator. Vampires were coming from the other side of the hallway, as the Investigator didn't flinch a muscle, only stared down at whom I could only assume to be Naoko's friend, aiming his QK at him and firing, right in his head. His face was left completely deformed. 

I pulled the tab back, but Naoko grabbed my hand and kept watching further.

The Investigator kicked the body of the other off his leg and proceeded to brutally kill the two other vampires that came at him and walked out, not a single glimpse of remorse in his eyes.

"I've made my offer, Mizako Naoko. It's your choice now. You can return to those Investigators if you want. They still have the International Centrals outside Japan, don't they? But just remember that they won't hesitate to kill you off the second you are of no service to them."