Chapter 40: Cat Out The Bag

It was all so much to take in. A VCO Top 5 Investigator was actually a vampire undercover. Christopher, I.N, Han, Felix — people who Yoona though she knew well turned out to be in a gang with the Investigator along with three other members, also top members of VCO.

 Yoona decided to head out to clear her mind with some fresh air right after the meeting ended. It was like a habit she had developed since she came to the 2nd Chamber. It was a way to run away from her problems without actually running away from it. It was a way to take time out.

Yoona headed to the convenience store nearby as she bought a small drink for herself. As she paid the cashier, a gut wrenching feeling overtook her. She clutched her stomach in pain as the money in her hand fell, the coins clinkering on the cash counter.  

"Mam? Are you alright?"

Yoona struggled to breathe, she tried to talk. Her eyes darted everywhere as she caught a glimpse of the red glowing eyes of hers. Her breath bitched. 

"Mam?"

She tried to hand the money to the cashier, doing her best to keep her head low. She snatched the drink as she hurriedly shoved it into the pocket of her pants and speed walked towards the exit before she bumped into someone, accidentally causing for her to look up, disclosing the red glow of her eyes.

"Watch wh-"

The person stopped mid sentence in shock as he  pointed at her eyes, hand shaking. The last thing Yoona heard was a scream before she ran out the store, back to the base.

Unfortunately, things aren't always perfect and life isn't forgiving, even of the small hiccups. After relieving herself of the pain of hunger back at the base, Yoona was required to go back outside with Hyunjin to complete and check up on a task. Both of them ventured out where mid way-

"Haiyu?"

Hyunjin and Yoona both froze. Only one person called her with that name where only one person had such a distinct and familiar voice.

They both turned around to face the person they both suspected.

"Oh, Yeonjun, hi"

Hyunjin said as Yoona stayed silent. Without even having to look at him she knew Yeonjun was staring at her.

"What are you two doing together?"

"Oh.. you know her? She's uh, she's my girlfriend. We're out to celebrate her birthday today."

Hyunjin lies. Yoona looks up at two of them finally. She sees how Yeonjun's face just looks defeated. He gives Hyunjin a small smile before nodding.

"Oh, I see.. well.. happy birthday, Haiyu."

Yoona just nods back at him, looking away.

"Oh, we're gonna be late for the reservation, I'll see you later, Choi."

Yeonjun just nods again before disappearing with disappointment all over his face. Hyunjin resumes walking in the opposite direction as Yoona follows behind.

"Was it absolutely necessary to say I'm your girlfriend?"

Yoona said with a hint of annoyance in her words.

"As a mater of fact, it was. Because of me being a VCO Investigator and you being my girlfriend, it gets all possible suspicions off of you."

"You couldn't have just said that I was your sister for that matter?"

Hyunjin sighed.

"Yeonjun could easily pull up my database and know I have no siblings, genius."

Yoona stilled.
Yeonjun could pull up his database.. from the VCO database.. that meant-

"He's a VCO Investigator..?"

Hyunjin stopped walking to look back at Yoona, stood still as ever.

"Of course he is, he's highest ranking Investigator in the VCO."

"Another round."

The bartender nodded.

Here Yeonjun was, drinking his feelings and problems away so he doesn't have to deal with them for atleast a little while more. Numbing his mind doesn't seem to help the image of Haiyu flashing in his mind over and over like a broken projector in his head.

He snarls in annoyance, feeling the high getting to him now.

He orders another shot after he gulps down the one he had in his hand, lightly rubbing his forehead from the already oncoming hangover.

'..was found in a local 7 Eleven in-'

Yeonjun's ears perk up as he looks forward to glance the small TV playing the news infront of his messy state.

'-- a vampire was reported by several witnesses to be running out the store in frenzy once caught, here we'll be showing the CCTV footage of the same.'

Eyes widen as he makes our a familiar figure on the screen of the television, one he had seen just minutes ago.

"Haiyu?"

Cat's out the bag now.