Chapter 26

Catching Fire belongs to Suzanne Collins. I do own baby Mellark and Katniss loving Peeta. This is fanfiction, none of it is what happened in the actual book. In other words, this is fake.

Chapter 26

The anthem begins, but there are no faces in the sky tonight. The audience will be restless, thirsting for blood. Beetee's trap holds enough promise, though, that the Gamemakers haven't sent in other attacks. Perhaps they are simply curious to see if it will work.

At what Finnick and I judge to be about nine, we leave our shell-strewn camp, cross to the twelve o'clock beach, and begin to quietly hike up to the lightning tree in the light of the moon. Our full stomachs make us more uncomfortable and breathless than we were on the morning's climb. I begin to regret those last dozen oysters.

Beetee asks Finnick to assist him, and the rest of us stand guard. Before he even attaches any wire to the tree, Beetee unrolls yards and yards of the stuff. He has Finnick secure it tightly around a broken branch and lay it on the ground.

Then they stand on either side of the tree, passing the spool back and forth as they wrap the wire around and around the trunk. At first it seems arbitrary, then I see a pattern, like an intricate maze, appearing in the moonlight on Beetee's side. I wonder if it makes any difference how the wire's placed, or if this is merely to add to the speculation of the audience. I bet most of them know as much about electricity as I do.

The work on the trunk's completed just as we hear the wave begin. I've never really worked out at what point in the ten o'clock hour it erupts. There must be some buildup, then the wave itself, then the aftermath of the flooding. But the sky tells me ten-thirty.

This is when Beetee reveals the rest of the plan. Beetee and Johanna will take the coil down through the jungle, unwinding the wire as they go. They are to lay it across the twelve o'clock beach and drop the metal spool, with whatever is left, deep into the water, making sure it sinks. Then run for the jungle. If they go now, right now, they should make it to safety. Finnick hands the coil to Johanna.

Johanna and I are the fastest and most sure-footed on the jungle floor. At least we would be if I wasn't six months pregnant.

"We'll just drop the coil and come straight back up," Johanna tells us.

"Not into the lightning zone," Beetee reminds her. "Head for the tree in the one-to-two- o'clock sector. If you find we're running out of time, move over one more. We will not even think about going back to the beach, until I can assess the damage."

"Ready?" Johanna asks Beetee who nods his head, before they run off. 

"So, what are we doing." I ask Finnick. Peeta grabs my hand and rubs circles on it. 

"We wait." Finnick answers. 

"Peeta, can you go tap a tree?" Finnick asks. I'm kind of leery about this plan, but it's not like I can one right out and say it. Peeta looks me in the eyes and I can tell by his face he is leery too. What is Finnick playing at though? He did not have to rescue Peeta, I would not have been any wiser if he did not.

"I'll be right over there," Peeta tells me pointing to a tree that's easily visible from my spot. 

"Okay, I'll be fine Peeta." Finnick nods at Peeta for him to go on. Peeta goes over and starts to tap the tree. Finnick glances over me quickly. Then he runs over to me and puts his hand over my mouth. He lays me on the ground while I'm squirming everywhere. What is he doing? Is he going to kill me? 

"Finnick," I try to say against his hand.

Finnick sits on my arms and pulls out a knife. Now I know he's not playing. I kick and try to scream to no avail.