Chapter 10

Suzanne Collins owns all rights to the characters!

Chapter 10

She doesn't know," says Bonnie softly. "Maybe not about any of it."

"I know you had an uprising in Eight."

"Yes that's why we had to get out," says Twill.

"Well, you're good and out now. What are you going to do?" I ask.

"We're headed for District Thirteen." Twill replies.

"There is no Thirteen," I say it like I am speaking to a child, maybe they don't teach it in District Eight."It blew up seventy-five years ago," 

 Bonnie winces as she shifts on her crutches.

"What is wrong with your leg?" Peeta asks.

 "I twisted my ankle," says Bonnie.

"Anyone anyone following you?" I ask thinking of the avox girl from the Capitol.

"We don't think so. The Capitol thinks we died in a factory explosion," says Twill.

"Alright let's go inside," I say, nodding at the cement house. Peeta and I follow them in carting the gun. A tin gallon that is cut in half sits in the ashes of the fire. With a handful of pine needles steaming in water.

"Making tea?" I gesture to the tin gallon. 

"We're not sure. I remember seeing someone do it in the Hunger Games years ago," says Twill with a frown. It's a miracle these two have made it this far.

"Out of food?" Peeta asks. Bonnie nods.

"We took all we could, but foods been scarce."

"Well it's your lucky day," I say, dropping the bag of food we had. I look up at Peeta, and he nods, meaning I did the right thing. They go through the sack.

"All of this?" Bonnie asks. I nod my head.

"So what's your story?" I ask. And they tell us.

Twill taught at school Bonnie was her pupil. The night of my engagement, the night Peeta fell to his knees and proclaimed his undying love for me. Was the night District 8's uprising began. It gave people a reason to be out on the streets. When the Justice Building clock hit eight, all hell broke loose.

The Peacekeepers were shocked and overcome by the crowds. As Peacekeepers fell, weapons were available for the rebels. Then the ax fell. Peacekeepers came by the thousands. Hovercrafts bombed the rebel strongholds into ashes. It took less than 48 hours to subdue the city. Then, for a week, there was a lockdown. No food, no coal, and no work. The entire district was on the verge of starvation. Then everything went back to normal.

Bonnie and Twill went back to school and had to take a different street because the usual road was made impassible by bombing. They were a hundred yards away when it exploded, killing everyone inside-Including Twill's husband and Bonnie's entire family.

"Someone must have told the Capitol the idea for the uprising started there," Twill tells us faintly.

They went to Twill's, where the Peacekeeper suits were still waiting. They stole from neighbors, they knew to be dead and made it to the railroad station. They went by train to District 6. Then went through the woods on foot.

"I understand why you are running, but there is nothing there we all have seen the footage," I say.

"That's just it. The Capitol has been using the same footage for as long as anyone is District Eight can remember. They always show the Justice Building, and if you look carefully, you'll see it. Up in the far right-hand corner. A Mockingjay. The same one every time," says Twill.