Chapter 20

Disclaimer: Suzanne Collins owns the characters and the plot. I however have made some changes to the original story making this FANFICTION, not the real story. Nor is this story affiliated with Suzanne Collins.

Chapter 20

There are twelve spokes, each with two tributes balanced on metal plates between them. Beyond the water, wherever you look, a narrow beach and then dense greenery. I scan the circle of tributes, looking for Peeta, but he must be blocked from my view by the Cornucopia. I dive into the water as soon as the gong rings. I kept swimming until I get to the cornucopia, I run up there and grab the bow and arrows.

Someone is behind me. I turn to look and realize it is Finnick glistening wet a few yards back with a trident ready to act.

"You can swim too? Where did you learn that in District twelve?"

"We have a large bathtub," I answer.

"You must," he says. "You like the arena?"

"Not particularly. But you should they seem to have built it especially for you." I say with an edge in my voice. There was no pool to learn in the Training Center either you come in here a swimmer or you don't. That gives District 4 a huge advantage.

For a moment we're frozen, sizing each other up, our weapons, our skill. Then Finnick suddenly grins. "Lucky thing we're allies. Right?"

Sensing a trap, I'm about to let an arrow fly through his chest. Then something catches my eye. A solid- gold bangle patterned with flames. The same one I remember on Haymitch's wrist the morning I began training. Suddenly I can hear other footsteps, I need to make a decision quickly. "Right!" I snap at Finnick.

"Duck!" He says quickly and I don't hesitate to drop on my knees. His trident goes whizzing over my head and there's a sickening sound of impact as the man from District 5 is impaled in the chest. "Don't trust One and Two," Finnick says.

Finnick goes around the other side of the Cornucopia and I stay here collecting weapons. I grab the other bow and arrows and some other weapons that could be useful. By this time Gloss and Enobaria are just reaching land. Now that they are on land and should be here in a few seconds.

"Anything useful?" I hear Finnick shout.

I survey all of my side. "Nothing but weapons!" I call back.

"Same here." He confirms. Grab what you want and let's go!"

I shoot an arrow at Enobaria, who's gotten in too close for comfort, but she's expecting it and dives back into the water before it can find its mark. Gloss isn't quite as swift, and I sink an arrow into his calf as he plunges into the waves. I sling an extra bow and a second sheath of arrows over my body, slide two long knives and an awl into my belt, and meet up with Finnick at the front of the pile.

"Do something about that, would you?" he commands me. I see Brutus barreling toward us. His belt is undone and he has it stretched between his hands as a kind of shield. I shoot at him and he manages to block the arrow with his belt before it can skewer his liver. Where it punctures the belt, a purple liquid spews forth, coating his face. As I reload, Brutus flattens on the ground, rolls the few feet to the water, and submerges. "Let's clear out," I say to Finnick.

The four careers are near now and they no doubt have a prior alliance. If I had only myself to think of I might be willing to take them on with Finnick. Now I can only think of where my husband is and if he is okay. I take off and I do not spot him but I see splashing in the water and Finnick follows me without question. Please let that be some other idiot fighting in the water and not Peeta..