Chapter 1

Catching Fire (fanfic)

Hey guys 10 whole whopping years later and I'm actually fixing this cringe show. I'm going to be honest, and say I'm not sure how far I'm going to get but... Here's to some of it being less cringe. -The now 22-year-old author who is obviously no longer 12 writing her first fanfic...

Chapter 1

The sun is peaking through the curtains when I open my eyes, Peeta lays next to me his head perched on his arm not encapsulating me. I watch him for a moment, appreciating the rare look of comfort and innocence. The sun shining on his golden eyelashes. I savor it knowing the long days ahead of us and wake him up with a kiss. 

"Katniss?" He questions.

"Yes, Peeta?" I respond.

"Can you do me a favor?" He truly seems awake now, stretching his arms almost exaggeratedly so.

"That depends on what it is," I square my chin to pretend I could even refuse him.

"Do that again," He says, smiling down at me almost hungrily.

"And you think you have to ask?" I respond with a smirk. I kiss him, and it feels like an electric current with an unknown source.

"I've got to go before your mother realizes I'm here," Peeta says. I nod stiffly, wishing he didn't have to go. Wishing that we didn't have to get back on that stupid train singing our praises for mercy to the ones wanting us dead from the beginning.

"I'll see you later, with all of Panem watching."

"I haven't forgotten," Peeta says then he kisses me on the cheek. I watch as he gives me a smirk as he disappears out the window and onto the roof of my house. A few times, I've wondered if Haymitch has noticed of routine but realized he was probably too drunk to even notice, and if he did wouldn't care enough to mention it.

I stretch and walk down the stairs and into the kitchen. I guess there is one good thing about winning the Games; Peeta and I both got houses along with a considerable some money each month. That means our families won't go nights without meals. 

The only other time is when they deliver the care packages every month. Each care package is delivered once a month to each household. Each care package contains grain, oil, and even candy. The children's faces when they receive goods they had never before been given access to, like candy, is one of the rare moments that being a Victor doesn't feel like a selfish endeavor.

"Hey Prim. Do you want me to walk you to school?" Since I won the games, I have been trying to be there more for my sister, using my newfound free time for something other than hunting in the woods. Even starting to make up with my mother, starting to trust her again since she stayed for Prim when I was gone. 

After a second of examining the kitchen, living room, and dining room I know mother isn't here, not while Prim is leaving for school. For a second I worry but remember she's a grown adult, but the worry doesn't stop. "Where is Mom?"

"I'd love it if you could walk me to school, and she went to the store to get bandages," Prim responds.

"Peeta and I have to go on the Victory Tour today." It feels like a weight of lead weighing me down every time I say it. Even though I wish I was weighed down instead of being forced to leave.

"Oh yeah, I forgot," Prim says as she checks her backpack for the fourth time. I'm about to ask her what is wrong before she speaks up.

"Were you or Peeta faking?" Prim asks me, dropping the flap of the backpack and putting it on her back. For a second, I don't understand what she was asking me. Faking what? Then I remember what Haymitch mentioned all those months ago, some people weren't fooled by my act, even though there was none. Didn't believe the truth in front of their faces would be better wording, but who am I to judge? Even still, to be asked by my sister if it really takes me by surprise.