Four

Drea trained as hard as she could every day after Jayleen confronted her. Agility, strength, speed, quick thinking. She trained all.

"Dre, c'mon inside, kiddo!" Her father shouted over the pouring rain. Drea just continued to run laps around the house, ignoring her father.

"Dre, I'm serious! I don't want you getting sick!"

The slapping of her feet on concrete was slowing down, much to Drea's dissatisfaction.

"Drea! Inside!" Her dad was getting impatient, but didn't let himself get angry. Not with Drea.

"Fine." Drea stopped, frustrated with herself for tiring so quickly still.

"You're working hard, kid, but you need to relax for a bit." He pat her dripping hair. "Watch a couple matches or something."

The Apok was on from 6:00am to 12:00am. Three groups of 30 people. One group goes at a time while the other two groups rest. It's a system made perfectly for the viewer's entertainment. There's always a match to watch, whether it be a current match or a past one you missed.

"Get some water, if you haven't had enough already." Her dad joked, motioning to her soaked black tank top and shorts. The clothes hung heavy with rain water.

"I'll go shower.." Drea sighed as she headed to the bathroom.

After blow-drying her hair, she came back to the living room and sat in her usual spot.

"Agh, I swear pa, I'm not improving at all." Drea groaned as she smoothed back her thick, black hair.

"Dre.. Improvement takes time. You are improving, just slowly. You'll do amazing in the Apok, I promise." He smiled warmly, throwing an arm around her shoulders. His skin was very warm on her own, freezing skin.

"I love you." Drea said, leaning into his warm body.

"I love you too." He kissed the top of her head. "Hey, I think Archie's playing now!"

"Ooh! I can't wait to watch him fight!" Drea flopped over on the couch.

Her dad chuckled. He suddenly froze, his eyes focused on the screen.

"Archie Whitlock has been eliminated first for the fifth time. This means he will be removed from the Apok effective immediately." The announcer said, his voice like a engine.

"That.." Drea paled. "That means I.."

"Get packed.. They'll have someone to get you in an hour.." Her dad said flatly, eyebrows creased. 

"Dad, I'm not ready. I can't-"

"You will, Drea. You can do it. You're strong, smart, determined.. I'll be cheering you on the whole time." He bit down on his lip. "I wish you had all the time in the world to prepare.. You should get to go when you feel ready."

"I can't..."

"You can. Go pack."

"I... Okay." Drea walked to her room in pure shock.

"Damnit.." She cursed under her breath as she shoved outfit after outfit in her bag.

She was too young. This couldn't be happening. At just 19? That was too  young! She was going to move out in a year. She was going to get a dog, and learn to cook, and watch all the stupid shows she wanted!

"I'm gonna get maimed.." She whispered, taking deep breaths.

Why did she have to come from this incredibly talented family? Why did the Apok people need her so badly?

"Dre! They're here! Hurry up!"

Drea realized she'd been standing there for a while. She zipped up her bag, pulled on a hoodie, and was out.