Nine

"Nice burg." Drea mumbled as she bit into the cheeseburger.

"Kid, I asked why you look like you've been in a street-fight, not how the 'burg' is." Sierra said as she crossed her arms.

"I've been training."

"For how long?"

"Since 5:00am.."

"12 hours?!" Sierra's face dropped. "You'll die of exhaustion before you can throw a punch in the Apok!"

"I won't throw a good punch unless I train!" Drea insisted.

Rooney sighed.

"Kid, I'm telling you now. Don't overwork yourself."

"Whatever.." Drea huffed. "I'm just trying to be at my best."

"You don't have to be-"

"Are you kidding me?!" Drea cut her off. "This is my entire future! If I can't live up to my family's legacy, what will everyone think?!" She stood up. "I can't be a failure!"

"Kid.." Sierra grabbed her wrist. "Take a breath and calm down."

"I just.." Drea sat back down. "I can't disappoint everyone. They all expect me to be as amazing as my dad, but what if I'm not?"

"Then you'll get better until you're the best you can be. You're already an incredible fighter and determined."

"I want to be the best.. That's why I've been training all day.." Drea covered her face with her hands. "I'm stressed.."

"You're going to be amazing, but you can't abuse your body like this. It'll fail." Sierra pat her back. "Have some tea, take a hot bath, get plenty of sleep. Just let yourself heal."

"Okay." Drea sighed. "I guess you're right. Thanks."

"Any time, kiddo."

"I'm gonna head up to my room. I'm pretty tired."

"Alright. Sleep well!"

Drea walked into the elevator, and went straight to her room.

------------------------------------------------------------

Drea lowered herself into the hot bath. Instantly, it was as if her muscles were melting.

She let herself relax for the first time in months. She was completely aware of her body. From the soreness in her knuckles, to the tightness in her legs, to the stinging of fresh scrapes on her skin. Every part of her was there. Her mind was blank.

She must have stayed in that bath for an hour before she was too pruny.

She went to sleep an hour early. She went out quickly, completely exhausted.

------------------------------------------------------------

When she woke up, Drea got herself ready, then decided to take a walk around the block.

"Good morning Ms. Whitlock." The hostess chirped as Drea walked up to the huge double doors.

"Morning." Drea replied. She flashed a polite smile as she swung the doors open.

The day was beautiful. It was the middle of winter, but the air was warm and dry. The sky was blue, the grass green, and the trees were filled with loud, exotic birds. The tropical climate was very different from what Drea was used to. Back home, it would be snowing this time of year.

She stuffed her fists into her shorts pockets as she began to walk.

The gentle rhythm of her feet on the concrete soothed Drea's tense mind.

She thought over her plans for the day, most of which was training. Her body was aching from the day before. After both Sierra and Jayleen's advice, she decided she would actually take breaks today. The other big thing today was a video call with her family.

She kicked a small rock out of the way with her foot.

Something shiny caught her attention in a store window. It was a huge New Year's display. Glitter and bright colors gleamed behind the glass. She smiled to herself and pressed on.

The streets were mostly empty, but the occasional person would greet Drea warmly. One guy was walking his dog, who loved Drea instantly.

It felt nice for her to do something unrelated to the Apok. She almost felt normal.

She circled around the block before reaching the massive building once again. The bustle inside was different from the calm of the outside, but Drea really liked both. With so many people, she was able to blend into the crowd.

So far, just taking it easy was nice.