I'm Late!

~RING~ as the most classic red alarm clock tired of waiting, screamed out his tune making himself shake and crash into the floor which was covered with chip packets and random magazines. 

Echo woke up startled and looked down at the dead alarm clock which was showing the time which it passed out. By now she understood she was 1 hour late. 

She grabbed a brush and combed her black messed-up hair while brushing her teeth. She threw the clothes lying on her white bed, trying to find her black shirt. Even though she was in a struggle to reach on time, She smiled at how everything she was was either black or white because it reminded her of her childhood cartoons. 

She snapped out of her thought as she quickly got dressed and grabbed a sandwich from her cabinet. She stormed out of her small apartment with a black bag hanging on her shoulder. 

Even though she was running she greeted all her neighbors. She jumped on her black cycle while keeping her mountain size bag on the back. She cycled as fast as she could trying to make her calm down. It was her first time being late for her job. 

While she cycled, she remembered how she worked so hard in her college and not even taking a leave (even when she was sick) to get full marks. She also remembered how she wanted her parents to be there when she graduated with a 96% in Architecture. 

She soon reached her office which was located in the center of the city. She dropped her bike at the entrance and ran as fast as possible to get into the office. SHH! as the AC came running down her face covering her round glasses full of fog and mist. 

She quickly rubbed it and saw a really fat man walking towards her with a not-so-very happy look. Echo started, "I am so sorry sir! The traffic in Seoul is super high today. I don't have a car so I tried my best to cycle as fast as I could.", said Echo as she panted in front of her manager, Harold.

 Her manager looked at her as if she demanded his 1-year salary. 

He grunted and croaked "Listen here Miss Scarlett, This is your first time being SO late to my office. I'm not too fond of it when people I trust and people I don't trust, not respecting my time. If I let this go then people like you will keep repeating this. So, As a good manager, I am cutting 100 won as a warning. Also, why is your tie crooked? CORRECT IT NOW". Echo's panting face turned into a 'You can't do this to me look' and before she could protest, Harold marched off.

Echo sighed leaving out her concerns about how to pay the bill for some other time. She made her tie correct while grunting about how sad her life was. Even though she was living in a small apartment and had a small job, Her goal was never small. She wanted to be successful and make advanced buildings for the people, 

She wanted to pour her creativity into graph papers and finally wanted to show all the people who discouraged her that she is as amazing as other successful people. She went into her office area and sat down in her chair wondering what to do next. Suddenly someone tapped her back, She glanced back to see her Best friend, Jess. Jess had dark hazel hair with black eyes, She always wore a lime green skirt with a coffee colour shirt. 

Jess spoke, "Why do you look sad? Wait, Let me guess. Your cycle broke down? No, No, You won't be that sad about it. OH! Harold scolded you?", as she leaned next to Echo's desk making her as irritated as possible. Echo nodded. "Oh c'mon Echo, You know it's no big deal and this is your first time right?", said Jess as she tried to comfort her.

 Echo replied, "Well, I know that Jess but He cut 100 won from my salary!". 

Jess said, "100 wons? You can't even buy a ramen with that, It's no big deal Echo.". She knew what Jess said was correct so she remained silent.

Echo still wondered how Jess could always remain positive. Echo had met Jess at the University she was studying in. Jess was always open to her and was always happy with her 59% of her marks. The only thing Echo never knew about Jess was her past. Whenever Echo asked about it Jess became sad and avoided the topic. Echo knew something bad has happened so she quit asking her and tried to be a good friend.

After the whole day at work and Jess's nagging her to buy the latest ps5, Echo started walking down the alley with Jess to reach their apartment. The alley was dark and narrow. Echo didn't want to use public transport as her boss, Harold usually used it all the time. "I don't understand why you love walking in scary places like it. The lights and shimmering shop signs are so beautiful", said Jess and she walked with Echo. Echo replied, "Well, Not only is this calm and peaceful, I like the cold winds in the alley".

 As they walked down the alley slope, Jess shrieked, "E-Echo? W-What is that?"