Chapter 4

The room that Vader stayed in was simplistic, not at all what Padme had expected a sith lord to stay in. Vader was off in the corner talking to his general over a holo map. Padme didn't go towards him.

Her hands were trembling and she could barely look at the figure of Vader without emotion threatening to slip.

Padme stood off to the side trying to calm herself down as much as possible. Part of her relieved that Vader hadn't recognized her but another part of her ached, heartbroken that Anakin didn't know who she was. Padme pushed that feeling deep down and went into the sith lords fresher to wash her face. Unaware if the action would get her killed.

Staring into the mirror, Padme saw a damp face stare back at her with chocolate brown eyes. Brown eyes- Padme swore under her breath. How could she have forgotten to put in her contacts? She wondered if she put in her spare pair in now, would Vader notice? Deciding not to risk in she tightly wrapped her handmaiden cloak around her face again then left the bathroom, anxious not to look at Vader.

The General was gone and Vader stood on the balcony, his hands behind his back. Padme was hit with a terrible sense of Deja vu, remembering that night Anakin had had a nightmare about his mother. Trembling at the thought she turned to leave but was stopped by the familiar voice of Vader.

"Join me Lady Queme, we have a lot to talk about". Padme gulped, letting surprise wash over her face before she turned and joined Vader on the balcony.

"Lord Vader", Padme spoke unemotionally like she was still the Queen of Naboo. Vader wasn't looking at her, that relieved Padme. She didn't know what she would do if Anakin's face stared at her so hatefully with those eyes again.

Silence shone around the two of them and Padme wondered if he had heard her. Deciding it would be best not to repeat what she had said Padme questioned him, trying hard not to sound like her old self.

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you chose a handmaiden to protect you and why me?". Vader shifted slightly and Padme was sure he was going to whip around and force choke her. Instead he replied his voice cold and distant. "It was the will of the Force".

Padme nodded deciding she wouldn't speak unless spoken to. Vader let out a sigh then spun around to face Padme his eyes boring into her soul. "Don't think for one second I wont hesitate to kill you if you defy me in any way. I know you are important to the Queen but that has no meaning to me. We are not friends and you are only here to serve me".

Padme felt her mouth drop and her eyes widen in shock. Quickly before he could hurt her she nodded her cloak nearly slipping from her face. "Good" Vader grumped before turning back to face Naboo.

Padme straighten the fabric covering her face before she turned to leave. Tears were threatening to spill from her eyes and she had no intention in letting Lord Vader get the pleasure of seeing her like this. At the balcony doors she heard Vader call back to her.

"We're going down into Theed in an hour be ready to meet me here". Padme bowed unsure how to act around him and let out a soft. "Of course sir". before leaving him alone out there. Vader scared Padme to her very core. That was the simple fact and it made her sick. How could someone who held Anakin's face make her feel like this? He's not Anakin she reminded herself before hurrying to the Queens study.

-----------------------------------------

Padme was on her way back to Vader's room. Her and Apailana had started formulating a plan to help save Naboo from the grip of the Empire, unfortunately they hadn't come far. Padme had sworn she would contact the rebellion for help as soon as she could but even that seemed like a stretch. The rebellion wasn't nearly big enough to go against the Empire yet.