Chapter 12

"Padme....." his voice was hesitant but there.. the knocking sound continued. "Look Padme- could you please open the door I just want to talk to you".

Padme took a shaky breath preparing herself to face Anakin again. She didn't know what had washed over her before, but now she knew she had to be strong.

Opening the door slowly, it revealed a suprised looking Anakin with his hand up ready to knock again.

"Padme..." he breathed. His eyes tracing her figure. It was only now that Padme became aware of the simple white outfit she was wearing.

"What is it Anakin?" She didn't let any of her feelings leak through her voice. For all she cared, what had happened- what had almost happened was in the past now.

Anakin took the hint, clearing his throat he held open her door. "I was hoping we could have an uh... civilised conversation".

"Civilised?"

"Yeah.. you know one where we don't raise our voices". Anakin looked like the same nervous boy who she had rolled around with on Naboo.

Letting out a sigh Padme nodded her head. "Only on two conditions".

Vade- Anakin hesitated before asking. "What conditions".

A smile spread on Padmes lips. "First you tell me where we are going".

Anakins face relaxed. "No where.."

"What?"

"We're going no where".

"Your meaning to tell me we're just flying around space?" The idea was absurd to Padme, yet part of her knew he wasn't lying.

"Until I figure out how to keep the three of you safe, yeah".

Padme blinked at him. "Safe?"

Anakins smirk lit up his face before he nodded.

"You want to keep us safe?!". Padmes heart was pounding was she hearing correctly?

"Yes Padme I want to keep my family safe.." Vader hesitated at the word family and Padme wouldn't really meet his eye.

The air around them grew awkward and the silence was a prominent ghost laughing at them.

Finally clearing his throat Anakin looked up at Padme. "What was the second condition".

This time Padmes face lit up. "You let me cure your scar".

Anakins famous smile overtook his dark expression, awakening a part of Padme's heart she had hoped would be stored away forever.

"This way...." He offered showing her to his private medical centre. This small cruiser really had it all.

———————————-

Padme lifted Anakins shirt. She winced at how infected his scar looked. Had it gotten worse in the last 20 minuets?

Clearing her throat and trying to distract herself she looked up at Anakin, a reassuring smile on her face.

"So.. uh why did you want to have a civilised conversation". She asked getting a needle ready to numb him.

"I think you know why".

"Right. Hold on this is going to sting" Anakin inhaled sharply as she put the needle in. He desperately tried to look tough and Padme felt a pang of guilt. He was trying to look tough for her.

Getting the disinfectant ready she tried to distract her husband from the pain he was about to feel.

"The needle only reduces some of the pain not all of it." She informed him a sympathetic smile on her face.