Chapter 38

Peggy looked around before making eye contact with... him.

He grinned menacingly. "Hello, princess."

"No. Don't call me that," she snarled.

"He's gone. He left. You're pushing them away. All of them. Next is your friends, your sisters have already started."

The girl's face crumbled as her eyes brimmed with tears. "You're manipulating me again. You can't hurt me anymore."

He walked over and lifted her face to look at him. His fingers lingered on her chin. "Oh Peggy... I can."

She shut her eyes, trying to escape it. "No. No no no. Go away."

"They will know. Peggy."

"Peggy."

"Peggy!"

Peggy shot up, breathing heavy, sweat covering body and hair sticking to her face.

"Pegs, you ok?"

The yellow obsessed girl took a deep breath and rubbed her hands across her face. "Yeah... I'm fine."

"Alright..." her roommate decided to leave it, she was too damn pregnant for this right now. "I have a doctor's appointment, so I'll see you after classes. Please stay safe."

"Alright, tell me how it goes Mari," Peggy smiled at the taller girl. "Love you."

"Love you too babes," Maria smiled before walking out of the dorm.

Peggy sighed again before deciding to go shower before class. She stood there for three minutes just letting water run down her back as she thought about her dream. Did it mean something? Surely not. It had to have just been Steven getting in her head. Right? She finished and threw on a pair of black jeans and John's hoodie before walking out of her dorm.

Classes went slower with Peggy's mind numb with thought. She jumped at little things like-

"Eap!" Peggy squealed at a sudden sound. She turned to face Samuel, who just raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Pegs, are you ok? You've been really jumpy today," he asked, concern glazing over his face.

"I'm fine, really. Just weird things happening.." Peggy answered. Technically, she wasn't lying. She just wasn't telling the whole truth.

"Ok, well class just finished," Sam informed her. "Unless you wanted to keep staring at the random cat-shaped stain on the desk."

This earned a small laugh out of the girl. "It's a very interesting stain, Sammy."

————————————————————

John laid back on Alex's bed with a groan. "I'm. So. Boredddd," he complained.

"John," Alexander turned in his deck chair to face the curly haired boy, "My dearest best friend, I do not care. I'm trying to write."

He sat up and glared at Alex. "You don't even have any assignments to do."

"That doesn't mean anything," he glared back.

John scoffed and stood up. "Lame."

"Why don't you go annoy your girlfriend instead of me?" Alexander suggested, turning back to his computer.

"Great idea, probably the best one you've ever had," John grinned and walked out of the dorm room.

As he was walking, John's phone buzzed with a text from Peggy.

💛🌻My Sunflower🌻💛: are you busy rn?

❤️🐢Wonderful bf🐢❤️: nope, in fact i am very bored currently

💛🌻My Sunflower🌻💛: i just wanna spend time with someone rn, especially you

❤️🐢Wonderful bf🐢❤️: I'm omw

John unlocked Peggy's dorm room, and knocked twice before hearing "You can come in," from his girlfriend.

"Hey sunflower," he muttered, giving her a hug from behind.

Peggy melted into the hug and just gave him a small, "Hi freckles," quietly.

The two faced each other and John took note of the bags under Peggy's eyes, and how swollen around her eyes were. She'd been crying and he knew it. "Are you ok?" He asked softly, not wanting to pressure her.

"I'm alright, just need a distraction," the short girl answered.

"You wanna go do something?"

Peggy thought about it for a moment. It would he a nice distraction, and it was more time with John. "Sure, what're you thinking?"

"No idea. Let's see where the day takes us," John grinned.

Peggy laughed. "Alright, let me change real quick."

The boy brainstormed as his girlfriend got dressed. What could they do that would be fun and distracting? A movie? Not distracting enough and didn't really let them spend time together. Shopping? Ha! Peggy hates shopping, that's ridiculous. Ice skating? No, John was not willing to embarrass himself like that. Wait... John knew just the thing they could do.

"Ready," Peggy called, walking back into the room. She was wearing white shorts with sunflowers on them and a loose fitting yellow t-shirt. Her hair was pulled into a braid with curls framing her face. John thought he'd never seen anything more beautiful.

A smile made its way from the freckled boy's face to his eyes as he walked up to his girlfriend and spun her around. "Pegs you look gorgeous," he gushed. "When'd you get sunflower shorts?"

She giggled, pecking his cheek. "Got 'em just for you."

"How cute," John laughing while kissing her forehead. "I thought of something we could do."

"Oh? What'd you come up with?" Peggy asked as they conjoined hands and started leaving the room.

"It's a surprise," he grinned.

Peggy sent him a sideways look. "What is it with you and the surprises?"

"It's my love language," John shrugged.

The two walked and talked, just enjoying each others company. Peggy felt her anxieties dissolve as she listened to her boyfriend ramble about cute animals he saw while walking around campus. Something about him just changed everything. Having a person just be there and make everything be ok... that's something Peggy never could've expected.

Eventually John stopped walking and Peggy followed in suit. "The arts and crafts store?" She questioned, an excited glint looming in her eyes that only John would've ever noticed.

"Yeah, I figured we could get some stuff, figured out a stop to chill and just do some art together for a few hours," John smiled, placing a hand on Peggy's shoulder and nudging her inside.

"You're the greatest person ever." The Schuyler slowly grinned then dragged her boyfriend into the store.

And they did just that. The couple found a quiet spot in the woods to sketch and paint anything their minds went to. They chatted away about ridiculous things, laughing and smiling the whole time.

An automated message from Wattpad inspired me to finish this chapter at 1am lol