19) PEOPLE CAN BE DISAPPOINTING.

Cole Walker's POV 

I was frying myself a veggie burger, while mom prepared the chicken for the rest of the family. I was going through a vegetarian phase, not yet certain if I wanted to keep it up or if it was just another thing that wouldn't stick with me in the long run. Either way, it bothered mom, who claimed she didn't know how to make tofu or beans taste edible.

"There are like a zillion different options for meat nowadays." I shrugged, tired of explaining the same thing over and over again. "I'm perfectly happy with a veggie burger or those barely edible beans."

"Mm." Was all mom said, not wanting to agree or disagree with the matter.

We continued preparing the dinner in silence, while dad appeared into the kitchen. He was holding the space book, which Chloe and I had given him that morning, to his chest like it was his most precious possession. He gave a slight grimace at the pumpkin slices baking in the oven, before sitting at the table and getting lost into his beloved space facts again. 

We could hear the front door opening and closing, followed by a rustle in the hallway, before Cody's smiling face peeked into the kitchen.

"It smells amazing." He greeted us, practically drooling already. To emphasize his love for food, he pointed out: "I'm starving."

"We only had breakfast like an hour ago." Ian wondered, shaking his head and fighting a grin. Everyone knew how much food meant for Cody.

Cody shrugged and placed a present on the table in front of dad, who looked up at his son like he had only realized he was there. Then he set the book aside and grinned happily as he found a small box of chocolate hidden behind a gift card to an ebook app.

I watched them talking in lowered voices and smiling at each other, wondering if I was ever going to be able to forgive our parents the way Cody and Chloe had. Then I felt bad about thinking about it on dad's birthday, and averted my gaze. 

By the time Chloe joined us and we gathered around the table, I didn't feel like eating anymore. The mere idea of it made me sick to my stomach. I wanted to go to my room and listen to my music and not ruin everyone's good mood in the process. 

But the thing is that once you've had a severe depressive episode, everyone's going to be on their toes around you. They're waiting for any signs of it coming back, until you can't even have a bad day without being rushed straight to a psychiatrist. They're going to smother you with their care and worry, until all you can do is to keep plastering a fake smile on your face to reassure them you're all better now. 

"So, how is sixth form?" Cody asked, bringing everyone's very much unwanted attention to me.

"It's school." I pointed out and speared a piece of pumpkin with my fork. I wanted to pat myself on the shoulder to congratulate myself from my indescribable conversation skills.

"Have you met anyone nice?" Ian joined in then, not ready to put me out of my misery. He was one of those people who could get anywhere just by their looks, because let's face it: the world revolves around the pretty and the good-looking. Yet by some miracle Ian wasn't smug or arrogant, but all in all perfect son-in-law material. 

"I thought I did." I surprised myself and everyone else by saying that, because whenever I was asked something like that the answer was always no. Then I added, in my most cynical voice: "But people can be disappointing, so no."

"Let me guess. Homophobic or a bully?" Cody asked, repeating the same things I had been ranting about countless of times in the past years. We were the ones casually dropping those words, whereas the rest of the family was always cautious not to mention them. At least not in front of Cody or mom.