36) A. HORRIBLE. IDEA.

X Bélizaire's POV 

"Cole Everett Walker." The whisper-yelled words from the door, which was just slammed open, made Cole dart up into a sitting position next to me. I followed his example, feeling like I was caught doing something I wasn't supposed to do by laying on Cole's bed so close to him.

Gaping at Vivian, I felt like I should start confessing to her what almost happened between Cole and I. I could already see the shocked expression on her face, when I would tell her: I almost kissed your son on a whim, but I didn't, as it turned out he wasn't actually trying to kiss me at all..

When Cole's mom switched on the ceiling light, the brightness stung my eyes and I pressed them shut. My heart was still thudding, startled by the sudden noise. I had been half-asleep, listening to the steady rhythm of Cole's breathing, but now I was wide awake.

"What did I tell you about.." Vivian began, still whisper-yelling and barely keeping her temperament in check. But when her gaze landed on me, she blinked and plastered a smile on her face. Then she continued with a much gentler tone: "Oh, I didn't know you had a friend over."

"That is because I came in unannounced, Mrs. Walker." I told her.

And, by the way, Mrs. Walker —

"Oh, please please just call me Vivian." She insisted, giving a slight shake of her head. "Mrs. Walker makes me feel so old. Are you staying for dinner?"

— Vivian, I still want to kiss him.

"I, um.." I stammered, the growling of my stomach echoing in the otherwise silent room. My cheeks burned as I chuckled self-consciously. "I think there's no point arguing I'm not hungry, but if it's any trouble, I can —"

"It's settled then." Vivian decided, smiling at me. Then she gave a stricter look at Cole, who still remained silent. "You are eating as well. And don't think we're done talking about this." 

She gave a vague gesture to the drawn curtains and Cole laying on the unmade bed, making it clear just how happy she was about him staying in bed all day. Cole sighed and mumbled under his breath: "Okay, mom." 

Vivian nodded slightly, before backing away from the room and closing the door behind. As soon as she was gone, Cole slumped back to lie on his back and covered his face with his forearm when he groaned. I wanted nothing more than to do the same, but instead I picked up my backpack and clumsily pulled out my notebook. 

"Here, copy these." I ordered, earning another groan from Cole. 

Despite his obvious disinclination, he sat up again and skimmed through the notes. He tucked a lock of hair off his face and bit his lower lip, before frowning and glancing at his desk. I could see something was bothering him, but I wasn't quite sure what. Did he need something from there or..?

"I don't know how to get back into my chair." He admitted. 

"Wait.. Don't tell me that's the reason you haven't gotten up from bed all day?" I exclaimed, lifting my eyebrows in genuine surprise.

"Haha, you're hilarious." Cole noted dryly, rolling his eyes like I had just told a bad joke. "I'm not that stubborn. I just didn't feel motivated enough to go through the trouble of asking Dahlia's help."

"Uh-huh." I said, not quite believing his words. I glanced at the door. "Should we ask your mom?"

"Can't you just lift me or something?" Cole suggested, sizing me up.

"How do you know I'm strong enough?" I asked, grinning and wiggling my eyebrows to hide my embarrassment. "Have you been checking me out?"

"Shut up." Cole cursed. "Just help me up, you idiot."