4 | The Engagement

chapter four

__________________________________________________

June 29th, 1979

"I'm proud of you, you know." Narcissa hummed while touching up Tasia's hair.

It was meant to be comforting in a way. But Tasia could only wince.

Fortunately, the older witch mistook her grimace as her being humble, "I'm serious. It's about time you stop testing the waters with your parents. A sign of maturity my mother always says. Always doubted you though, but I knew you would get it together. Just took a matter of patience." Narcissa smirked lightly, "Won me a few galleons in the process."

She didn't know the extent her parents were willing to go when punishing Tasia. She didn't know about the chamber. No one outside of this family did. So, Tasia couldn't be angered at her ignorance. She couldn't be angry at anyone for not knowing.

There was a lot no one knew about the Bellamy family. Alot Tasia wished she didn't know herself.

"Really?" Tasia spoke dryly, "Betting on your friend's poor miss fortune? And I thought you were on my side, Cis!"

"But I am!" The blonde grinned, squeezing both her shoulders. "Did you not hear when I say I won the bet? Twenty galleons! Bought me a new dress and everything!"

"I should've at least gotten half of that! Since you're betting on me and all!"

Tasia was trying to keep the topic light despite the dread resting at the bottom of her stomach. She was going to meet the Black family later today to discuss further in detail of the engagement. As she would imagine, Mr. and Mrs. Black were ecstatic that their son had been chosen. As if it were a high esteemed honor that they would somehow be related to the Bellamy family.

It was ridiculous honestly, how so many pureblood families wanted to sneak their way in. But then again, it wasn't hard to believe at all. Many purebloods were somehow related in the end, inbreeding was practically their forte. So, perhaps Tasia shouldn't be all that surprised.

Sometimes, Tasia wondered if Narcissa, who was also a Black, was friends with her only because of her name. That her parents forced her to get along well with the youngest Bellamy daughter. But thinking back, Tasia wouldn't believe that to be so.

The first time they met was at a party, the year before Tasia was going to start at Hogwarts. At the time it was being discussed whether she was even going to attend the school or not, but instead attend Durmstrang like her cousin. Or possibly another far away school. Narcissa was quite cold and didn't seem like she wanted to be friends with anyone in the room.

Yet somehow, some way, Tasia had broken down her barriers—only a little—and had gotten the older witch to befriend her. Perhaps it was because of their names, but in the end Tasia was still grateful for Narcissa. She was the one that prepared her for Hogwarts, practically taught her how to be a respectable pureblood woman, and all and all was like an older sister to her.