Ashura's Incarnation Arc - Chapter 15: Potential Raid

I was named Hanagaki Youji, a fourty-four year old man who inherited a dojo with generations of history going back to the Tokugawa period.

At a young age, it was found I was a once in a century talent, a prodigy in martial arts. Naturally I was taught in the art of combat by my father to make sure that I make use of my talent in this lifetime. I wanted to achieve something at a young age before I die. Think of it as making history.

When I grew older, I've participated in school tournaments, national martial arts competitions, and finally international competitions at the ripe age of twenty. I was a five time world champion in Karate and two time champion in Sōjutsu. My name has spread far and wide and I was written in global sports history as one of it's most remarkable figures.

I had a wife and a daughter after quitting all that fame and focused in my life as a dojo owner. Teaching students my way of fighting, I was a distinguished teacher.

My life was steadily good and I was perfectly satisfied, all that was left for me that time was to see my pregnant daughter get married, then finally meet her baby. After that, I would have no regrets in dying whatsoever.

...

But it all became nothing when I died too early. An unknown killer assassinated me by shooting me on the nape and I was left to bleed to death amidst the cold winter with my students holding me in their arms.

I... Am terribly dissatisfied.

Was my daughter crying during my funeral? Obviously. Was my wife pushed into sorrow and did something that would get her in trouble? It's scary. I can't imagine seeing them like that.

Where did I go wrong for me to deserve this kind of miserable fate?

"-ake up..."

"w...ke up..."

"Wake up!"

All of a sudden an unfamiliar voice echoed in my head and a burst of light entered my vision. I came to the conclusion that Asura and I woke up at the same time.

"Stand up! We have to go now!"

Who is this?

"Hrmgh..."

There's a brown-haired girl with crimson eyes face to face with the half-awake Asura. She was wearing leather armor and a sheathed sword at her waist. She had an expression saying she's very flustered about something urgent that required her to urge Asura awake.

But that's not all, as my hearing returned, it began with a ringing sound. But as it settled, I can hear a battle taking place around me.

I can smell the scent of blood, sweat and metal. Not only that, I can hear the scratching of bones, war cries and flesh being torn around me.

"Thank god you're up. Hurry, let's go!!"

Suddenly, the girl I've never even met before grabbed Asura's hand and pulled us up to a standing posture in a hurry.

I soon realized we were standing on a carriage with no coverage. Our location was still the forest but at the roadside there were numerous people engaging in battle with grey wolves with snake heads for a tail.

"These things should be dealt with by the adventurers. Why do we have to deal with monsters when we're mercenaries?!"

"Shut the hell up and duck!"

One of the bandit looking fellows ducked as he was ordered and the arrow shot by another guy hit a wolf right by the eye.

"Bullseye! Make a run for it, Lana!"