Ashura's Incarnation Arc - Chapter 19: Cannon

Due to the alarming emergence of the monsters, the near-impassive mercenaries were prompted to halt all their activities and take their preplanned positions. They didn't let their guards down on the wild beasts even if they weren't as sly as humans, instead, they went for the opposite.

Less than ten riflemen took their post in the trenches while the warriors on the ground encircled the base to fortify the already formidable iron wall of spikes.

The archers drew their arrows and the mages casted spells in advance which were evident with the rings of light on their wrists that bore intricate symbols which fluctuated every once in a while. Although mages took more time to construct these elaborate codes, they were guaranteed to deliver greater effects compared to a trio of arrows launched at the same time.

Due to it's devastating might, the idle machine remained offline after the Guild Master requested to the pilot inside not to interfere unless the situation calls for it. One single explosive shell from the launchers on it's shoulders could serve catastrophic damage to not just the enemies but the combatants on their side, it would basically do more harm than good.

"Hobgoblin riders, incoming!"

Green-skinned fiends slightly bigger than the average man but uglier than a blobfish appeared from the dim thickets of the forest. Riding grey wolves that looked like they came out of a horror movie, these bastards looked arrogant enough to grin despite holding mere sticks with edges sharpened into a makeshift spear.

Although the hobgoblins didn't qualify as a threat to the eyes of a single honed mercenary, the wolves they raised were something to take note of.

The hobgoblin riders muddled carpets of snow as they prepared to make their steeds jump over the spiked fences that were atleast as tall as two people stacked on top of each other.

"Prepare for combat!" Blue Hawk shouted while taking out a handful of throwing daggers from his cloak.

The landbound mercenaries strengthened their grips on their axes, swords, daggers, spears and shields. As the horde of monsters decreased the distance, so did they decrease the guild's morale.

They've never fought these things before. One or two of them might have fought a wolf in a mission but out of stricken fear, they must have frozen in place and got a few terrible scars.

"They're no different from cavalry! Throw the bolas on their steeds!" A gold ranked mercenary hollered.

The squads under his command followed his order reluctantly and threw several bolas on the wolf pack's feet. While some of them stubbornly went unscathed, a good amount fell from their momentum and crashed on their sides. Some crashing right next to a mercenary, the mercenaries only had to make quick work with the immobilized monsters by stabbing them with a knife.

The hobgoblins that dismounted their steeds recklessly charged in. But their boldness didn't amount to much in the end as their heads came rolling down the bloodied floor after a short exchange with a mercenary.

The Guild took their time as more and more hobgoblin riders emerged from the forest one by one!

"Goddamn! How many hobgoblins are there, Blue Hawk!? There's literally more than a hundred!" Another gold ranker from Asura's division yelled at the scout leader, her voice was almost being drowned by the collective shouting in the battlefield.

"I estimate about a thousand!" Blue Hawk responded while firing crossbows at the increasing group of approaching riders.

The enemies poured in in fearful numbers as they simply bypassed the wall of spikes. Fortunately, a few of them didn't see through the jump and got impaled instead.